Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Accommodation in Ninh Binh/Tam Coc?

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

I have read that there is a new place run by a Canadian couple in Tam Coc.
    Would you know its name/ contact info?

Trying to find a nice place to stay at and the French owned Chez.... does not seem to be friendly to non French speakers. Any other accommodation suggestions in the area?

thank you

#1 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 12:51

• Advertisement

• MWasser6

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

I think the place you are mentioning is Chez Loan. We just spent a couple days in Nihn Bihn and stayed at the Kim Lien Guesthouse, it was cheap, clean and had a good location in town. They have bikes you can rent ($2/day) and its roughly 20-30 minutes to Tam Coc (depending on how many times you want to stop for pictures, or cows you need to avoid). Actually had a drink at Chez Loan and the staff were nice, but you are right, they didn't really speak English.

Here's a link to our blog with some pics/info!

#2 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 20:51

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

Thanks for the feedback.
    Your photos are great, thanks for the link.
    You mentioned that you went from Halong Bay directly to Ninh Binh, would you have any details on that, how did you organize the bus, how many hours was it etc, as that's where we will be traveling from, too.

Did you have difficulties to bike in Ninh Binh- some people reported they kept getting lost as they were given a hand drawn map, but I would much rather bike at my own pace. Where did you bike while there?
    appreciate any help

#3 Posted: 2/9/2014 - 15:55

• MWasser6

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

No problem, glad u liked it.

Yeah, we took a bus from Halong city to Nihn Bihn. Essentially, if you are on a Halong tour, you need to take a taxi from the ferry terminal to the bus station (45,000 Dong). We were hurried into the bus to Nihn Bihn so I'm not sure if there is a ticket counter, and we were basically charged double what the locals were getting (200,000 Dong to Nihn Bihn), but the Halong tour operator said it would be anything from 5-10 USD, so we weren't to upset. We would've argued, but since we were already moving we didn't want to get dropped off on the side of the road. If you do this, go into the "station" and try to buy a ticket which should be 100,000. The bus takes about 4 hours depending on stops.

Unfortunately, you don't get dropped off in Nihn Bihn city. They let you out on a corner about 10km outside the city, so you need to get a cab (about another 100,000 Dong).

We did this to save time and arrived in NB at around 5pm after the Halong tour, whereas if we went all the way back to Hanoi and then took a bus or train we wouldn't have arrived until probably 8pm or later. Its more expensive since the Halong tour would take you back to Hanoi and from there a bus would be cheap, but it does save you a few hours travel.

The Halong tour operator said they could drop us off where the bus passes on the road, but then you need to be vigilant and watch for the right bus, which may or may not stop. I'd recommend taking a taxi to the Halong bus terminal to be safe.

It can be confusing for sure biking through the rice fields in Tam Coc, as again you are right, they only have hand drawn maps. We supplemented this map using GPS on our iPhone. Just load up the map of the area on your phone using wifi in the hotel, then GPS should work. Its a bit confusing, but as long as the weather is good, riding around the country is really pleasant. There is really only one general direction you can go for the most part, so eventually you will find it. At one point we were convinced we were lost and a local just looked at us and said "Tam Coc"..."Yes"....and he pointed down a road...clearly we found it in the end without much troubl. I actually think i enjoyed Nihn Bihn/Tam Coc more than Halong Bay.

#4 Posted: 2/9/2014 - 22:00

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

great info, thanks again.
    Did you visit Van Long area or Cuc Phuong? I am trying to get a feel for how many days to plan there.
    Based on your experience, would you recommend to stay at Ninh Binh or outside the city?

#5 Posted: 5/9/2014 - 17:04

• Filia

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2014

Hoi,

WE stayed at limestoneview homestay.
    Great place just outside ninh binh.
    25 usd for u bog room with everything you need and free breakfast and free bocycles.
    Look for their phonenumber at wikitravel because they do not habe a website yet.

We cycled around for 2 days and went one day on a bike.
    We also visited van long which we enjoyed very much.

Ninh binh town is not really a place to hang out.

Have fun we really liked it!

Marijke

#6 Posted: 12/9/2014 - 07:06

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

Hi Marijke
    Would you have photos of the limestoneview?

What did you end up visiting on your bikes and was it difficult to navigate or did you have a map
    I am trying to figure out the activity for 2-3days
    Thank you

#7 Posted: 12/9/2014 - 09:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ninh Binh ... By hotdiggeydog2 on 16 May 2008 0 3034 16 May 2008
Hue or Ninh Binh? ... By Dorotich on 3 May 2014 11 1854 20 Jul 2014
Ninh Binh & Cuc Phuong ... By burnthisnow on 10 Jun 2008 3 3231 20 Nov 2013
Hanoi to Ninh Binh ... By John67 on 30 Mar 2010 1 7474 31 Mar 2010
ninh binh vs gillin ... By marianaamc on 18 Sep 2014 2 264 18 Sep 2014
Ninh Binh questions! ... By yan on 27 Aug 2009 1 2785 27 Aug 2009
ninh binh. cuc phuong national park. ... By frere on 4 Nov 2013 0 2769 4 Nov 2013
Ninh Binh to Huong Son (Purfume Pagoda) Possible? ... By angfonz on 28 Aug 2009 2 3388 29 Aug 2009
Ninh Binh DON'T: QUEEN MINI GUEST HOUSE ... By samdraft on 2 May 2008 5 9618 19 Jan 2009