Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to SaPa via train

Posted by sunbird71 on 4/10/2007 at 15:15

I am going to hanoi/sapa/halong bay next month with hubby and 2 teenagers, can anyone advise whether to book overnight train from hanoi to sapa or organise it over there ? it will be a friday night so we are able to be there on weekend
also I am an amateur phtotgrapher and was wondering if anyone can recommend any must see photo opportunities! we then are going to do halong bay if anyone has any suggestions on junk?

#1 sunbird71 has been a member since 21/5/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2007 at 05:22 admin

If you know exactly when you want to go, then by all means book it in advance -- it is a popular service.

For Ha Long Bay, check the Vietnam features section -- there's links off to a few different cruises we tried out.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by bennyho on 10/10/2007 at 14:29

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,sunbird71
I think 3 destination above are ideal for great shots.
In my own opinion, I special like Sapa for capturing at all. But anyway, it's also up to the weather.
I recommend Huong Hai Junk for your Halong discover.

#3 bennyho has been a member since 23/8/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by sunbird71 on 10/10/2007 at 14:51

thanks for your replies!
we are staying at Namhai hotel in hanoi and they have recommended the sunlight junk for halong bay
anyone have any info on this?

#4 sunbird71 has been a member since 21/5/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by bennyho on 10/10/2007 at 15:18

Cheers,
Wish you have great time in Vietnam.

#5 bennyho has been a member since 23/8/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by hoai on 17/10/2007 at 00:16

Hi Sunbird71,

It's a high season for tourists in Hanoi now so i think you should reserve night train in advance so you will get four tickets in one compartment especial on Friday night. You can also reserve return tickets too. I usually use ET Pumpkin whenever I travel with my clients. Good service and clean. I would ask them to contact you if you like.

There are multiple choice on junks in Halong bay at the moment. It depends you take a private trip or join with other participants as an open group tours. Each traver agents use the different ones.
Wish you have a good trip in Vietnam.
Regards.

#6 hoai has been a member since 21/3/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by sine on 17/10/2007 at 13:47

we paid the little extra and used Tropical Sails' Dragon Pearl after searching these forums etc - about $97 each...was a well equipped boat with an older age group, a couple of families too - no all night partying ;-)

We booked from them directly - i had a sneak peak of their booking form when they were calling out names and most people paid about $125+ for the same trip - i think through their hotels etc...

#7 sine has been a member since 2/10/2007. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.