Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to SaPa via train

• sunbird71

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2007

I am going to hanoi/sapa/halong bay next month with hubby and 2 teenagers, can anyone advise whether to book overnight train from hanoi to sapa or organise it over there ? it will be a friday night so we are able to be there on weekend
    also I am an amateur phtotgrapher and was wondering if anyone can recommend any must see photo opportunities! we then are going to do halong bay if anyone has any suggestions on junk?

#1 Posted: 4/10/2007 - 15:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you know exactly when you want to go, then by all means book it in advance -- it is a popular service.

For Ha Long Bay, check the Vietnam features section -- there's links off to a few different cruises we tried out.

#2 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 05:22

• bennyho

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,sunbird71
    I think 3 destination above are ideal for great shots.
    In my own opinion, I special like Sapa for capturing at all. But anyway, it's also up to the weather.
    I recommend Huong Hai Junk for your Halong discover.

#3 Posted: 10/10/2007 - 14:29

• sunbird71

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2007

thanks for your replies!
    we are staying at Namhai hotel in hanoi and they have recommended the sunlight junk for halong bay
    anyone have any info on this?

#4 Posted: 10/10/2007 - 14:51

• bennyho

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Cheers,
    Wish you have great time in Vietnam.

#5 Posted: 10/10/2007 - 15:18

• hoai

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

Hi Sunbird71,

It's a high season for tourists in Hanoi now so i think you should reserve night train in advance so you will get four tickets in one compartment especial on Friday night. You can also reserve return tickets too. I usually use ET Pumpkin whenever I travel with my clients. Good service and clean. I would ask them to contact you if you like.

There are multiple choice on junks in Halong bay at the moment. It depends you take a private trip or join with other participants as an open group tours. Each traver agents use the different ones.
    Wish you have a good trip in Vietnam.
    Regards.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 00:16

• sine

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2007

we paid the little extra and used Tropical Sails' Dragon Pearl after searching these forums etc - about $97 each...was a well equipped boat with an older age group, a couple of families too - no all night partying ;-)

We booked from them directly - i had a sneak peak of their booking form when they were calling out names and most people paid about $125+ for the same trip - i think through their hotels etc...

#7 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 13:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.