Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Warning! Bag snatching in Hanoi...

• sine

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well it happened to us - about 5.30/45am in the backstreets of the Old Quarter...just got off the sleeper train after Sapa and headed back to the guesthouse we stayed at previously...then a motorbike driver with 'his' face all covered up just drove right by.,,, My partner had the bag in her hands!

It all happened in a flash.

We'd like to think we're generally (over)cautious - ie always have our bags, lock them on trains etc and even heard about the probs in other SE asian areas with bag snatching...

Some reckon the moto driver watched us from the train station and perhpas followed us? who knows...he got a good score with our bag. P***d about the personal stuff you just can't replace...

So just a word of warning to all travellers - keep your wits about you at all times! People are saying this type of crime is getting worse for 'westerners' in Hanoi...

#1 Posted: 9/10/2007 - 15:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry to hear about your experience Sine -- having had that happen myself, I know exactly how you feel!

Good advice is always to wear a shoulder bad over the head and shoulder rather than just dangling off one shoulder, and never ever leave purse/handbag etc sitting in your lap while in a cyclo.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2007 - 19:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.