Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cruising the Ha Long Bay from Cat Ba ?

• XtoF

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007

Hi everyone !
    In a few days I'm flying to Vietnam, and of course at some point of the trip I'll want to cruise on the Ha Long Bay :)
    I an attempt to do something more "customized" and to try to avoid most of the tourists, I plan to reach Cat Ba on my own (ferrying from Haïphong I think), stay a few days there hiking the National Park, and then cruise one or two days on the Bay.

Question : is it possible to rent a junk from Cat Ba for more than a "tiny" tour??
    May I ask at one of the hostel you advice to arrange this kind of trip ? Just asking : renting the right junk to the right people seems need some luck over there ! ;)

Thanx !

#1 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 01:58

• Advertisement

• manooe

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yup, its possible.
    U can rent a junk from Cat Ba or Ha Long as well.
    It costs at least 250USD.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 11:42

• maclairia

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2007

Hi,

I returned from Vietnam earlier this month. We took a 3 night tour of Halong bay which included a night on a junk and a night on Cat Ba. Then, instead of returning to Hanoi on the third day, we broke the tour and spent an extra 2 nights on Cat Ba (time to hike, sunbathe, whatever) before rejoining the tour back to Hanoi on our 5th day...It was no problem to organise, but we only heard about it from our hotel who we booked through (The Ritz Hotel - highly recommended especially for objective tour advice), don't know if the tour operator/travel agent would have volunteered this info.

So, maybe it would be easiest to find a tour you like and then just take as many extra days in Cat Ba as you fancy.

Have a great trip.

#3 Posted: 18/10/2007 - 17:43

• amy_k_lehma-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2007

xin chau,

Anything is possible in Vietnam, especially if you have the cash!

When I visited Vietnam, I also wanted to avoid the tourist mobs, which is really hard around Halong Bay. However I joined a "tour" from one of the backpacker cafes and just left them at Cat Bar. I found this was the cheapest way to get onto the island. Then when I was finished doing my own thing, I just organised my own way back to the mainland through my guesthouse. No dramas.

What ever you do I am sure you will enjoy :)

#4 Posted: 19/10/2007 - 05:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hiking in Ha Giang/Cruising Bai Tu Long Bay - guide suggestions? ... By mvlum on 4 Nov 2013 3 782 7 Dec 2013