Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Booking flight to Phu Quoc

• chrisa77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Hoping someone can help me out after spending a very frustrating 40 mins. on the phone with Vietnam Airlines.

I'm trying to book a return flight between HCM and Phu Quoc for Jan.3 - Jan.7. I understand that only Vietnam Airlines offers this flight. I can book it through a few 3rd-party websites (asia.com, expedia.com, etc.) but they're charging triple the price of what I've been hearing it should cost ($70.)

On the Vietnam Airlines site, which offers the more reasonable fare, it says to phone VA directly to book the flight. So I did this but I believe the representative I spoke to was trying to tell me that I can't book the flight until I get to Vietnam. I'm worried about leaving it so late during such a busy holiday season.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just pay the expensive fare? $250usd for a flight that's advertised elsewhere as $72, just seems ridiculous.

Thanks in advance. :)

#1 Posted: 30/10/2007 - 08:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Around US$70 is about right for that fare -- if purchased from within Vietnam. Unfortunately Vietnam Airline's website isn't working for online reservations yet, so you're stuck in a bit of a bind.

There are multiple flights a day between Saigon and Phu Quoc and at least one a day between Rach Gia and PQ, but these do fill up quickly and you could find yourself unable to get a flight.

I'd suggest contacting a Vietnamese travel agent based out of Saigon and see what they can organise for you. I wouldn't book via Expedia etc -- for US$250 you could almost hire a limo to take you to the port and a private speedboat to the island!

#2 Posted: 30/10/2007 - 08:57

• carolyns

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

I booked our flights to Phu Quoc through Handspan for the week earlier as apparently the flights during the holiday season get booked up quickly - I booked mine a few months ago though (as well as a hotel on the Island).

Another online option is www.ivivu.com. I heard that others have had a good experience with them.

#3 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 06:55

• chrisa77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Carolyns -- is Handspan a travel booking site? How much did you pay? Our hotel on the island was booked a while ago...I just really don't want to show up in Vietnam with no flight booked.

Somtam -- I will try contacting a vietnamese travel agent, but I think I'm going to come up against some language barriers again. I wish I could speak the language!

C.

#4 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 19:53

• carolyns

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

Handspan is a travel agency that runs tours but will also book flights for you and then you pick up the tickets when you get to Vietnam. The tickets were $44 to Phu Quoc and $38 back (not sure why) and I suspect there was a small commission but can't remember what Vietnam Airways listed it as.

Annie is the person I went through. You could also try www.ivivu.com as I think you can do it on your own there but there is a shipping fee that for me made it more expensive than to do it through Handspan.

Have a great trip.

#5 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 07:22

• soccertaxi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2007

Hi there,

I am in the middle of booking flights with ivivu and it is certainly much cheaper than the options you mentioned.

For delivery of tickets within Vietnam they charge $5 US (will have them delivered to hotel). There is also a booking fee for tickets but I am still trying to figure out what it is as we have booked several tickets for several family members...I think its $5 per ticket.

Fare quoted for HCM Phu Quoc return is $67. Paying triple is absolutely ridiculous! You just go onto their website and fill out the form and they will have an agent contact you to confirm schedules etc...

#6 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 01:54

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Only IATA approved travel agents can actually print tickets in their offices.

Since IATA requires a certain level of business acumen and ethics not many agents qualify.

They get their tickets from either the airlines or through distributors - the cheapest way is buying direct from VietNam Airlines.

Internal flights can be booked on the web site - international ones when they figure if the system is reliable.

Airlines sell tickets at the airport (phone and reserve and pick up there) or through city sales offices - in HCMC the VN ticket office is opposite the Rex Hotel.

#7 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 19:24

• chrisa77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

I have to say that booking direct through Vietnam Airways was definitely not the cheapest option -- well, not if you're trying to book from outside Vietnam, anyway.

Carolyns, thanks for your suggestions! I ended up booking through ivivu and ended up paying just $183 usd for two people (return) and that included the $40 courier to Canada. I also contacted Hanspan and they very helpful, too, but I had already booked through ivivu.

Now I have my tickets in-hand, so I don't have to be stressed about trying to get a flight when I arrive Jan.2!

#8 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 23:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
TNK-TRAVEL anyone used them for pre booking flight,s ... By easygoing on 17 Dec 2007 1 1603 18 Dec 2007
Booking flight in LP to go to Hanoi? ... By blackpepper14 on 14 Dec 2009 0 1450 14 Dec 2009
Booking a flight from Vientiane to Hanoi ... By andrew951 on 31 Jul 2008 1 2074 4 Aug 2008
Booking flight Hanoi-Bangkok ... By Ronald on 4 Dec 2011 4 2056 11 Dec 2011