Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

tet how busy is it?

• charlotteru-
    ssell

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

three of us traveling in vietnam for 4 weeks in feb2008
    we are concerned about being there during tet , anywhere that would be good to hang while it is on?
    or should we visit laos or cambodia for a week when the madness is on?
    really hard to plan our trip until we make this decision as as it happens to be a third of the way in, if we stay how far ahead would we have to book travel and accom
    need help!!!!

#1 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 14:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While it may seem like a great idea to spend Tet in Vietnam, in practice, it's not always so great. The celebration is fun and all, but for many this is outweighed by the difficulties in getting around as transport and accommodation is packed to the rafters and some businesses close down across the holiday.

It's a personal choice -- if you're planning on sitting out Tet in one spot (eg Saigon) then go for it, but if you're planning on travelling a fair bit during the holiday, then I'd consider spending your time elsewhere and hitting Vietnam after Tet.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 10:54

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

In recent years the Tet festival has become more of a public celebration in larger cities but be warned that transportation services and hotel rooms are filled by Vietnamese who visit the bosom of their families.

Tourist services are somewhat reduced in the larger cities and almost non-existent in smaller cities and towns.

The 'worst' part of Tet are the first three days with things quickly assuming the normal by the fifth day.

#3 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 17:05

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

I have been concerned about this too - Are travel routes OUT of veitnam affected significantly during tet??

I will be in Saigon from the 6th/7th (start of tet) and need to be in cambodia byt the 9th/10th.

Will i have a significant problem getting to cambodia??

#4 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 08:02

• Unknownsu

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2007

I have experienced Tet in Saigon (HCMC) and while it the days leading to the New Year is busttling with human energy, things do get a bit hectic. The 3 days following Tet are quiet and boring since most shops and stores close. I will be in Saigon for the 2008 New Year.

#5 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 01:42

• charlotteru-
    ssell

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

thank you everyone who replied to me,
    looks like we are going to head straight to hanoi,maybe do halong before Tet[we felt it better to just wait tet out in vietnam as we did not want to rush vietnam as we only had one month,camb or laos another time]
    I have been told that SAPA would be a good place to go for the 3 day holiday of Tet .Is that so? will there be somewhere to eat etc?I guess at least you can do some hiking, where major sight seeing in cities etc would be closed,

#6 Posted: 15/11/2007 - 13:37

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Regarding Tet 2010, which I believe lands on the 14th Feb, is it only the week leading up and that week after that accomodation and travel must be booked in advance? Just wondering whether travelling around between 6th January to early February is going to be a hassle...

Thanks,
    A.

#7 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 10:02

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Tet affects everything from at least 2-4 weeks before until after.

Most businesses (restaurants, etc.) are closed at least first 3-5 days of Tet. Transport airplanes, buses, trains, etc. are almost impossible to get tickets into, out & around VN during this period.

And if you find any tickets for transport - or buy meals, hotels, etc. - it is WAY over priced because everyone is trying to make as much money as quickly as they can for Tet!

When I am in VN over Tet I sit and wait & go nowhere!

Tet for tourist is VERY overrated! unless you have family in VN and have your own transportation (bike, car etc.) do NOT come anywjere near VN!

#8 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 09:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.