Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Great dining in Saigon

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi everyone

While in HCMC I recommend an amazing dining experience. I’ve looked for a mention of it on Travelfish and in various guidebooks but haven’t found anything.

On Le Thi Hong Gam, adjacent to the Fine Arts Museum, there is a Vietnamese all you can eat buffet, open from 1100 – 1400 and 1800 – 2100, offering an incredible array of food. Meats, seafood - you name it – dishes are labelled, so you know what you are eating and allows an opportunity to sample dishes you wouldn’t know to order. With dinner costing 89000 dong each, it’s not the cheapest of meals but well worth it for the experience. The lunch session is less expensive. There is also an al a carte section, lined with fish tanks allowing you to choose your seafood meal from the contents, where the waiters zap around on inline skates for speedy service.

We stumbled across this place, in Dec. 06, after visiting the Arts museum around lunchtime, wondering why so many Vietnamese, were going in and out and clogging up the entrance. There is only a banner with 89000 dong and the opening times above the doorway to indicate what’s there (most probably obvious if we read Viet writing) and the front desk staff wear ao dais. While we were peering in to see what was happening a local woman pointed inside and said ‘very good’ to us - so we returned later – and it was. Mainly locals dine there, with seating for a couple of hundred people, with only a few western faces.

Give it a try when in Saigon.

Regards

Marian

#1 Posted: 7/11/2007 - 11:11

• Advertisement

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

For very good food at extremely good prices produced in some of the cleanest kitchens in HCMC I suggest that people try:

NHU LAN

which is at NHU LAN BAKERY, 50 Ham Nghi Street, District 1 - at the end nearest the ferry docks.

You can eat there in the restaurant or have them make up your choices to take on a bus or ferry journey.

I seem to remember prices don't exceed VND25,000 - about USD$1.75.

#2 Posted: 7/11/2007 - 15:29

• ionaman

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2007
    Total reviews: 4

Another good restaurant which is fairly new is the Stella restaurant. Lasange was the nicest I have ever tasted!

#3 Posted: 9/11/2007 - 17:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.