Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback?

• jburkland

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

My fiance and I are considering taking a 2 day/1 night cruise on the Annam Junk through Halong Travel (www.halongtravel.com). The cruise is on the more expensive side (about $120/person), but I have heard general warnings even about expensive operators, so I want to check: Anyone have experience on this junk and have thoughts?

I have heard great things about Ocean Tours and might go with them ($60/person). However, to meet our 6p flight to Cambodia after the Halong tour, Ocean Tours would send us via private car for $90 and get us there at 4p while Annam is suggesting that we only need to pay a $20 suppliment and can get there by 3p. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

#1 Posted: 8/11/2007 - 03:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to individual operators -- take a look at our Ha Long Bay section, there's a few stories there about individual operators (we tried out three and then did it ourself). Be wary of over-the top recommendations from posters have little history on the site in question (Travelfish included) about particular operators -- the Ha Long tour operators are notorious spammers and are forever posting fake reviews.

$90 for a transfer from Ha Long to the airport strikes me as very high -- perhaps it's a nice car ;-)

#2 Posted: 8/11/2007 - 09:18

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

One you can count on giving you a great cruise is Tropical Sails.

Book direct at their office in the Old Quarter or on-line.

Tropical Sails Co. Ltd.
    21 Hang Dong Street
    Old Quarter, Ha Noi

Tel: +84-(0)-4-923-2559
    Fax: +84-(0)-4-923-2560
    E-m: info@Tropical-Sails.com
    Web: www.Tropical-Sails.com

Owner: DUNG, Doan-Van

As for your planned escape, this is likely that the higher price will go direct whereas the other is via Ha Noi.

The road between Hai Phong (Ha Long Bay) is not very direct and there are many heavy vehicles to slow your progress - I drive a SUV in VietNam and I know this route.

Personally, I think you are pushing your luck - better to overnight in Ha Noi.

#3 Posted: 10/11/2007 - 18:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
junk cruises Halong bay ... By kevnic on 8 Jun 2011 6 5125 9 Jun 2011
Want to go on a junk boat in Halong Bay - who to book through? ... By alt on 9 Dec 2011 0 1862 9 Dec 2011
Feedback Hanoi-Halong Bay july 2014 ... By teeterouge on 6 Aug 2014 0 443 6 Aug 2014
Cat Ba to Halong Bay and Halong City ... By Pokol on 28 Aug 2009 4 4538 3 Sep 2009