Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback?

Posted by jburkland on 8/11/2007 at 03:16

My fiance and I are considering taking a 2 day/1 night cruise on the Annam Junk through Halong Travel (www.halongtravel.com). The cruise is on the more expensive side (about $120/person), but I have heard general warnings even about expensive operators, so I want to check: Anyone have experience on this junk and have thoughts?

I have heard great things about Ocean Tours and might go with them ($60/person). However, to meet our 6p flight to Cambodia after the Halong tour, Ocean Tours would send us via private car for $90 and get us there at 4p while Annam is suggesting that we only need to pay a $20 suppliment and can get there by 3p. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

#1 jburkland has been a member since 8/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/11/2007 at 09:18 admin

It's a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to individual operators -- take a look at our Ha Long Bay section, there's a few stories there about individual operators (we tried out three and then did it ourself). Be wary of over-the top recommendations from posters have little history on the site in question (Travelfish included) about particular operators -- the Ha Long tour operators are notorious spammers and are forever posting fake reviews.

$90 for a transfer from Ha Long to the airport strikes me as very high -- perhaps it's a nice car ;-)

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa2 on 10/11/2007 at 18:46

One you can count on giving you a great cruise is Tropical Sails.

Book direct at their office in the Old Quarter or on-line.

Tropical Sails Co. Ltd.
21 Hang Dong Street
Old Quarter, Ha Noi

Tel: +84-(0)-4-923-2559
Fax: +84-(0)-4-923-2560
E-m: info@Tropical-Sails.com
Web: www.Tropical-Sails.com

Owner: DUNG, Doan-Van

As for your planned escape, this is likely that the higher price will go direct whereas the other is via Ha Noi.

The road between Hai Phong (Ha Long Bay) is not very direct and there are many heavy vehicles to slow your progress - I drive a SUV in VietNam and I know this route.

Personally, I think you are pushing your luck - better to overnight in Ha Noi.

#3 CatBa2 has been a member since 6/11/2007. Posts: 53

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.