Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Southern Vietnam - Questions

• khloeee

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2007

Hello all,

I am meeting a friend in Phnom Penh before travelling through to Vietnam. I have five weeks before I have to fly back home from Bangkok.

Ideally, I was thinking to spend 3 weeks exploring southern vietnam and then travel to southern thailand to revisit a couple of places before travelling up to bangkok for the flight home, instead of rushing to get up to Hanoi, fly over to Bangkok and back down to the thai islands. However, I cannot find any info on travel from HCMC to Thailand, apart from expensive flights (I am on a rather tight budget). Are there any boats/other transport that could get us from Southern vietnam to south thailand, Krabi or Phuket?

Also, we are interested in visiting Phu Quoc island, although all the transport information i can find recommends flying for around $70. Is there a cheaper method, ie boat from mainland vietnam?

One more question... for anyone who has visited vietnam recently: What is the current weather like? My friend has just left thailand earlier than planned because of non stop torrential rain around the koh tao/phangan area, hence our plan to revisit in Decemeber when the rain should be well and truely gone. However, if the rain is similar in vietnam at this time of year perhaps we shall rethink our itinery.

Suggestions and recommendations welcomed!

#1 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Check into Pacific Airlines for their deals on HCM - BKK flights. They're not super cheap, but not super pricey either. Otherwise your only option is overland (and you'd still have to go via Bangkok), which while cheap, takes a long time.

Another option is to look into a cheap flight from Saigon to Sinagpore and then from there back up to Phuket. It's a long way to go, but the flights can be very affordable.

For Phu Quoc there are boats daily from Rach Gia to the island.

Vietnam has a different monsoon system to thailand. Follow the weather links from the front page of the site for more info on weather for each country.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 21:19

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

THREE WEEKS is enough to see the WHOLE of the tourists VietNam.

As for the weather things are drying up - no significant flooding in either Hoi An or Hue at this time.

It will be Fall / Winter in Ha Noi and Sa Pa but nothing you can't handle with a light jacket and a sweater bought in Ha Noi.

AirAsia has a USD$45 flight Ha Noi >> Bangkok if you decide to max out your 3-week travel options.

Travel safe.

#3 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 22:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Southern Thailand Questions ... By JainaSJedi on 14 Feb 2014 4 638 15 Feb 2014
Questions about southern Thailand ... By ThorntreeExile on 8 Jan 2013 15 2188 31 Jan 2013