Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

"waiting list" at ivivu

• hillsh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2007

I am booking flights to Phu Quoc in February. My reply from ivivu has us booked at one price but we are on a "waiting list" for those flights. However on the same reply there is a confirmed booking for the same flights, but for $100 more (there are 5 of us). Has anyone run across this before? Should we take the confirmed flights and forget about the "waiting list"?

#1 Posted: 17/11/2007 - 22:21

• Advertisement

• carolyns

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

I wouldn't pay the $100 extra. You could try Vietnam Airlines website - I keep reading from others that you can book online but I was never able to get it to work from outside Vietnam.

Otherwise, I would consider using a travel agent in Vietnam to help book - I used Annie at Handspan but I assume there are a number of agents that could help you out. I think that there was a small commission but it wasn't atrocious (a few dollars on each ticket).

Of course this is all assuming you need to book ahead and can't wait until you get to Vietnam and do it yourself. Perhaps if you are traveling during Tet then it is necessary but otherwise many people book their tickets once they get to Vietnam.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2007 - 03:32

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Why you would bother booking this trip so far ahead is beyond me as there are several flights daily there from HCMC.

Save your money and book on arrival - I have a contact who I can recommend for visa-on-arrival and air fares. He is a reliable, honest tour operator I have used for 15 years.

Joe VU Phan < JoePhanVu@gmail.com >

#3 Posted: 18/11/2007 - 13:47

• mmoses

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2006

Actually, it is not very good advice to wait to buy flights to Phu Quoc once you arrive. There are only three flights (on small airplanes) per day to Phu Quoc, and during the high season (Nov - Mar), the flights are often overbooked, especially during holidays.

$100 is a fair bit extra to pay to get confirmed seats, but if you feel strongly about going to Phu Quoc, you can either pay it, try to follow up with IVIVU to see if they can confirm the seats, or try another travel agent. Sometimes travel agents can confirm seats that others can't due to good personal relationships with the airlines - it's not quite the "neutral" confirmation system of other countries.

I love Phu Quoc, and highly recommend it, although you need to keep it mind that it is still very undeveloped.

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 03:54

• chrisa77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

That sounds odd. I just booked a return flight (HCM-PhuQuoc) through ivivu for December and had no problems. In fact, I just rec'd the tickets via courier today (I'm in Canada.) My total came to $188.30 usd for two people, and this was confirmed.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 23:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
www.ivivu.com broken... temporarily www.ivivu.info ... By smokesthecat on 3 Aug 2008 0 1639 3 Aug 2008