Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Has anyone stayed at the Jasper Hotel in Hanoi?

• gypsybell

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

(OOps. I hit enter instead of tab and I think I am now posting a new message.) The Jasper hotel has been recommended to me by a travel agency in Vietnam.
    I was wondering whether or not it is in a good location in the Old Quarter?? It is located on 42 Hang Cot Str. As we are travelling with a child we'd like to be near restaurants, shops and not too much noise. Any comments would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 12:44

• Advertisement

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

This is a great new hotel located near to the north end of the Old Quarter near the 'gate' to Ba Dinh.

It has been open about 4 months.

Jasper Hotel
    42A Hang Cot
    Old Quarter
    Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi
    VietNam

Tel: +84-(0)-4-927-4888
    Fax: +84-(0)-4-927-4868
    E-m: Info (at) JasperHotel.com.vn
    Web: www.JasperHotel.com.vn

Categories: 3*,A-C, Bathtub, Balcony, Bar, Elevator, Fans in rooms, MiniBar, Rest, TV-Satellite, WiFiLobby, WiFiRoom
    GPS: 21N02.26 / 105E50.62
    Rooms27 / Largest 3 / USD$25-40
    6 suites, new 2007

Now that you have the contact info (courtesy of VirtuallyThere.ca) I suggest you contact them directly and avoid getting taken by a 'travel agent' from Ha Noi - home of some the most venal travel tricksters in VietNam.

The hotel has food services and Hang Cot Street is an extension of Hang Ma - a two way street. There are several nearby 'escape' routes from this part of the Old Quarter so your taxi costs won't be too high (ONLY USE DeLuxe Taxi, VN Taxi and Mei Linh Taxi as these guys are owned by the Mai Linh groupf of HCMC and have a good reputation for honesty.

10 minutes away, in Ba Dinh District, there is a beautifully relaxing lake when you want to get away from it all (ask the taxi driver for the SAPHIRE HOTEL).

Any more questions - just post NEW TOPIC.

#2 Posted: 20/11/2007 - 00:20

• gypsybell

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Thanks for your advice. It sounds like a decent place in a convenient area. However, I feel I should make the booking thru the travel agent who found it for me as he tried several other options and they were all full (we are going at Christmas). Besides the rate he quoted is the same as what is on their website so I don't think we have anything to lose.

#3 Posted: 20/11/2007 - 12:03

• peterbridge-
    king

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2007

i stayed there last week. The location is good and the front desk staff helpful
    Breakfast is buffet - ask Kitchen for fried eggs. No restaurant but many local places nearby - no risk in them go eat and enjoy. rooms are good but small some with window onto ventilation shaft - i had one.
    laundry is iffy - they can do washing but if you want shirts ironed well on hangers tell them clearly. Dry cleaning service is outsourced and good.
    Free internet in rooms, but in 203 the cable was too short to reach the desk. No wifi.
    Suggest you can use www.hotels-in-vietnam as an agency. They are good, fast and will recommend alternatives. All hotels can be seen on their website. They take credit cards.

As you can imagine i go to VN regularly and refuse to spend the money for 5 star. Some interesting experiences. Jasper was neutral - neither good nor bad. I lost my watch there (not their fault) let's hope they find it!

#4 Posted: 22/11/2007 - 00:03

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Another good hotel in the OQ is:

Ha Noi Palace Hotel
    61B Luong Ngoc Quyen
    Old Quarter
    Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi
    Tel: +84-(0)-4-926-0879
    Fax: +84-(0)-4-926-3577
    Mobile: +84-(0)-91-628-088
    E-m: sales@HaNoiPalaceHotel.com
    Web: www.HaNoiPalaceHotel.com

Categories: 3*,A-C,B-tub,Elev,FdSvc,Inet1,MiniBar,Quiet,Rest,TV-Cable,TV-DVD,TV-Sat,WiFi
    GPS: 21N02.10 / 105E51.10
    R24 / L4 / USD$30-65

New build-2007

It is located on a quiet street and cars / motorcycles can't speed as it is on a corner.

peterbridgeking: I personally checked the Jasper twice this year - the first time two weeks after opening and again in October. There WiFi installed throughout - unfortunately one Access Point was acting up.

As for www.hotels-in-vietnam - this is just another dodgy VN web site full of inaccuracies, misinformation and caveats.

If you look at their Hue page < http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels_hue.html >, 6hey list 27 hotels out of the 310+ properties in Hue.

They also claim that the Lang Co Beach Resort and Pilgrim Village are in Hue Centre. People ordering on-line will be surprised to learn that the former is just north of Da Nang and the latter is 16 kilometres south of Hue.

The Huong Giang Hotel is near the Dap Da dam and all of the hotels marked new are all at least two years old.

There are errors in all their hotel listing pages and the star ratings often a figment of someones imagination!

#5 Posted: 22/11/2007 - 16:09

• gypsybell

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

It sounds like the Hanoi Palace is in a great location and their website looks fabulous ,but, after reading other traveller reviews on the net, it sounds like the noise of their night club is a big problem even if one is on a higher floor. Are you familiar with any of the hotels on Hahn Hang (or is it Hang Hahn)? This sounds like an interesting street. We would consider 2, 3 or 4 star hotels with character, cleanliness, and pleasant staff.

#6 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 11:59

• alansutton

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2007

Hi all Need a cheap hotel in Hanoi preferrably old quarter arriving New years eve. Travelling by myself. Any suggestions?Thanks Alan

#7 Posted: 7/12/2007 - 06:45

• peterbridge-
    king

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2007

the link to Hanoi hotels at the bottom of the page will give you the upmarket list. You didn't specify your price range. You can look at www.hotels-in-vietnam.com
    i use them for all my bookings in 3-4 star hotels. They have always proved accurate and fast and they accept credit cards
    they also go down as low as one star. I travel frequently to VN and if you have not been before i am sure you will like it. Specially the people.
    Buy a book on dos and donts before leaving, if you get the chance. It will help you with the little courtesies and avoid several pitfalls in understanding

#8 Posted: 7/12/2007 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone stayed in/heard of the Golden Land Hotel in Hanoi ... By Gabrielah on 27 Feb 2010 2 1730 5 Mar 2010