Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

3 week trip

Posted by downundergal on 25/11/2007 at 14:32

Hi all,
I'm starting to plan a trip to Vietnam for April 2008 for about 3 weeks. Bearing in mind this is a holiday & we both need a rest how does this sound?
Saigon 2 or 3 nights
Nha Trang (taking an overnight train or fly? open to suggestions) for a rest for about 5-6 nights and/or Mui Ne if OK its sounds perpetually windy
Hoi An 2N
Hue 3N
Fly to Hanoi
Hanoi 2N
Sapa 2N
Halong Bay 2N cruise or is 1N enough
Hanoi 1N
Can I skip Danang and Dalat or maybe do as a day trip and also Can Tho in the Mekong (bearing in mind I have done similar in Laos) or is there somewhere else I should try to fit in.
Am I stretching it timewise as I don't want to be constantly on the move.
Also I am not a trekker so is there a soft option in Sapa to see that amazing scenery that anyone knows of.
Thanks for any input.
Kerrie

#1 downundergal has been a member since 28/2/2005. Location: Australia. Posts: 15

Posted by jimsparadise on 25/11/2007 at 15:38

If you love the beach, Phu Quoc Island is ideal. You can fly to Nha Trang real cheap, about $30, using Pacific Airlines, the cheap domestic airline in Vietnam. Skip Danang, but rent a motorbike while in Hoi An and go tour that long stretch of beach from Hoi An to China Beach--while at China Beach--explore Marble Mountain--it's great. The boat trips out of Nha Trang are fun--Sailor Bar at night. If spend 3 nts in Saigon, can do great day trips from there, like Mekong. $ nts in Nha Trang is probably enough given your slight squeeze of time.
Use the most reputable booking agent in Hanoi to arrange trips to Halong Bay and Sapa, otherwise, you may get sub-standard accommodations. And yes, Mui Ne is windy--always--skip it-fly to Nha Trang cheaply and savor the time well saved.--ENJOY.......Maybe I'll see you there--I'll be arriving from Cambodia about that time.

#2 jimsparadise has been a member since 25/11/2006. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.