Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

traveling solo in February

• TravelingGi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2007

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#1 Posted: 3/12/2007 - 23:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No need to book in advance before coming out -- there's lots of people travelling solo in Vietnam and chances are you'll meet up with other solo travellers pretty quickly.

For the highlights, take a look at the Vietnam trip plans which should be a good starting point.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2007 - 15:07

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

There is a BIG problem with travel in 2008 FEB - the Tet festival - a national holiday - falls on FEB 07.

At this time, running for about 4-5 days, ACCOMMODATION and TRANSPORTATION is EXTREMELY TIGHT as Vietnamese citizens visit their families many of whom seem to live well away.

The Vietnamese are dedicated Tet celebrants and you will find that services such as restaurants, etc are severely limited in the first couple of days of the vacation.

Ho Chi Minh and Ha Noi are good places to be as there are increasingly public celebrations whilst the Chinese areas have dragons wandering around collecting red packets.

As for females travelling alone: you will be very safe - just practice your usual cautions in the larger cities. The only 'hassles' you will experience will likely be from male travellers from overseas but you will no doubt know how to handle such unwelcome interest.

Note that contact lense solution is hard to locate and that Vietnamese females use Kotex pads - tampons not available except in a limited number of high priced outlets in the three largest cities. Deodorant is also absent.

#3 Posted: 5/12/2007 - 05:20

• TravelingGi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2007

thanks for your response. Tet is not really a problem as I have planned around it. I am family and friends I can stay with during that week. I plan to start traveling north after Tet..just wondering if I would be able to book a tour while I am there or if I should do it in the US before I go.

#4 Posted: 5/12/2007 - 13:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
29 yr solo male traveling around SE Asia. February through May ... By alaskn81 on 9 Oct 2010 1 1869 16 Dec 2010
22f heading solo to Bangkok February 29 ... By ange7a on 17 Feb 2012 27 1992 3 Mar 2012
Solo Female Traveler on February 2015 ... By chels13 on 5 Nov 2014 6 597 8 Nov 2014