Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Beach Break

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Needing some help! I was planning some down time of about 5 days in Nha Trang but now after reading various reviews I am wondering if this is the right thing. The majority say that say the beach is dirty, strewn with rubbish and faeces(!)and the water is too dirty for swimming. Then after looking at accommodation options it seems as though the choices are fairly slim, the most consistant reviews & affordable price limit(Ana Mandara out of the budget) seem to be for the Sunrise Beach Resort but it's hardly an atmospheric choice. We are looking for a spot to chill out, do a bit of snorkelling or diving but still with a bit of nightlife and restaurant choices. Should I look at going to Mui Nue though I don't think this is a great beach option or cutting my time back in Nha Trang & heading further north? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 9/12/2007 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

The beach at Nha Trang gets some mixed reviews, but it's not all that bad. It's also a good base to use for trips into the surrounds, as there are plenty of good beaches in the surrounds -- particularly north towards Jungle Beach. South to Cam Ranh is also great, but it's very undeveloped down there. If you take that approach (using Nha Trang as a base, but exploring elsewhere), then you get the creature comforts come the evening, and the empty beaches during the day.

Further afield, Mui Ne is ok, the sand is tellow and very grainy and I wouldn't say it has much in the way of remarkable snorkelling -- same goes for beaches north, eg on the coast from Hoi An or north again at China Beach.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2007 - 11:51

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Pacific Air flies cheap to Danang and Nha Trang--I'd spend a few days in the China Beach/Marble Mountain/Hoi An area and then only 3 in Nha Trang doing the island cruises as suggested. Accommodations in Nha Trang is easy and quality. For $6-8, you'll get a very clean and spacious unit near the beach. Just get to the beach--more towards southern end, and look for 4-5 story guesthouses--try Sailor Bar for late night fun. No reservation required.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2007 - 20:30

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Unfortunately Nha Trang has, in the past few years, developed a well deserved reputation for crime against tourists - now more in line with HCMC and Ha Noi.

The beaches can be unsafe after dark - a local response to 'solicitation' by some tourists - and remote bars late at night attract robberies/attacks.

Guys should be wary of accepting motorcycle rides from girls as many have been pick-pocketed.

Good accommodation in Nha Trang can be had at:

/------------------------------------
    BA TU (Room 203 is popular)
    34-G1 Nguyen Thien Thuat
    Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa

Tel: 058-522-466
    Tel-Hand: 0905-369-867
    ------------------------------------/

Mui Ne is a much safer beach destination but lacks the night entertainment infrastructure - it is a 6 hour Sinh Opentour bus ride from HCMC or Nha Trang.

In Mui Ne good accommodation can be found at:
    /------------------------------------
    Ocean View Bungalows (Kim Ngan GH)
    Than 3, Ham Thien
    Mui Ne, Phan Thiet

Tel: 062-847-046
    Hand Tel: 0908-848-641 (Nhong)
    E-m: KimNganVilla@Yahoo.Com
    ------------------------------------/

Hoi An is a worthwhile place to visit BUT has no beach and the river is heavily polluted. Mosquito infestations are high along the river.

The beach area of Hoi An is called Cua Dai and has dangerous whirl pools that regularly suck swimmers to their deaths. Red flags are used to warn swimmers of dangerous times (tide dependent).

Lang Co, north of Da Nang, has nice beaches close to reasonably priced accommodation - and now - resorts.

#4 Posted: 12/12/2007 - 09:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Week's beach break: Koh Samet or Koh Chang? ... By lissie45 on 24 Sep 2012 5 4816 1 Oct 2012
Solo beach break over Xmas/NYE--Lombok/Gilis? ... By missmck on 24 Mar 2010 1 3180 15 Apr 2011