Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bookshops in HCMC

• poisonid

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

I used to live in HCMC 15 years ago, and I remember very well that there were some old bookstores that dealt in any kind of foreign books and papers (secondhands, photocopies, illegal southern litterature froom beforei the revolution etc) somewhere in the area around the army surplus market. Does anyone know if those stores are still there? Please tell me where they are, I ask but no one knows what I am talking about, and I dont speak vietnamese...

I am aware that the Pham Ngu Lao backpackerdistrict has some places w/ good selections, but these places that I am referring to were better than those....

I am also interested in buying an old mechanichal wristwatch for myself (one that works, preferrably), and I know that there are several of those shops as well, but I cant find my way back - I've been away too long.

Does anyone know where I should go?

#1 Posted: 11/12/2007 - 16:46

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are several good bookshops, in central Q1, along Le Loi and also Dong Khoi - near the intersection with Le Loi for about 100 metres. One on Le Loi is heavy in French titles.

Swap libraries in hotels can be found along the tourist route from HCMC through to Ha Noi.

There is a bookstore in Dong Ba, Hue - opposite the old (illuminated) bridge across the perfume river.

Even Hoi An boasts three used book stores.

Another market that has flourished in the past 15 years is that of the magazine which now has many non-political titles coming monthly. Many have rich, 4-colour reproductions.

As for old wrist-watches a good place to start your search would be Cho Dan Sinh (market) on Yersin Street where people are very knowledgeable as to where to source such things. There is also a street of antique stores that runs parallel to Ham Nghi Street and starts near Pasteur running towards Ben Thanh.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2007 - 08:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.