Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

3 week Itinerary - would love your opinion!!

• sackonmyback

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2006

Hi there -
    My 3 week initerary is below - any suggestions or changes welcome if we havent left long enough in some places!!
    Hanoi - 3 nights/2 days
    Halong Bay - 2 nights/3 days (do a cruise this could drop to just a one night if too long)
    Overnight train from Hanoi to Hue
    Hue - 2 nights/2 days
    Hoi An - 3 nights/2.5 days
    Possiby take overnight bus from Hoi An to Nha Trang if worth it?? Means would only have 1 day and 1 night there tho?
    Fly from Nha Trang or Da Nang if not going to Nha Trang to HCMC get connecting flight to Phu Quoc same day.
    Phu Quoc - 5 nights/5 days (is this too long?)
    Fly back to HCMC
    HCMC - 3 nights/2 days

We have excluded Mui Ne as we are doing the beach thing on Phu Quoc. Nha Trang has us a bit stumped - whether its worth the visit or tack an extra day on somewhere else.
    Thanks heaps guys!

#1 Posted: 19/12/2007 - 09:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're only planning one night at Nha Trang, then I'd say skip it, perhaps take an extra day in Hoi An. Five days on Phu Quoc is not too much!

#2 Posted: 19/12/2007 - 12:18

• sackonmyback

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2006

Hi somtam
    Thanks for replying.
    Do you recommend taking a day off somewhere else like Phu Quoc or halong bay to squeeze in an extra day in Nha Trang - making it 2 days there? Or just flag? Ive heard mixed reports about it.
    Cheers

#3 Posted: 20/12/2007 - 03:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not really. The beaches at Nha Trang are ok, but they're no comparison to Phu Quoc in my opinion. Unless you're planning on doing some exploring down around Cam Ranh Bay -- in which case you'd need more than an extra day anyway, I'd stick with Phu Quoc.

Another option, would be to fly one way to Phu Quoc and do the other overland via the Delta -- for example stopping at Can Tho to see the floating markets etc. The Delta is really beautiful and worth the effort if time allows. There are direct buses from Rach Gia (the port town for Phu Quoc) to Can Tho and onwards to Ho Chi Minh City.

#4 Posted: 20/12/2007 - 07:59

• sackonmyback

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2006

Cool thanks Somtam - was trying to work out how to fit in that. Wicked idea. Thanks heaps for your help. Have a good one.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2007 - 08:13

• thorny13

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2007

I would suggest more time in Nha Trang 2-3 nights will give you a rest from the travelling in a really nice place. I stayed 2 nights in Hoi An which was plenty.

#6 Posted: 21/12/2007 - 15:01

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Maybe your Ha Noi portion is a day too long - pre-book your Ha Long Bay cruise (like a busy cruise look to < www.emeraude-cruises.com/ > or for a smaller 15-cabin boat check out < www.Tropical-Sails.com >).

You MUST prebook your Ha Noi >> Hue (soft-sleeper) before heading to Ha Long as there is usually a 2-3 day wait list. AVOID using a 'travel agent' - better you go to 120 La Duan Street (Ha Noi Railway Station) and book yourself.

Choose a train that arrives in Hue early in the morning and chck-in to your hotel (I like the Nguyen Tri Phuong at 56 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street: Tel: 054-829-282; Fax: 054-849-482; E-m: NguyenTriPhuongHotel@yahoo.com (at around USD$12 for an air-con room, no breakfast)

You could catch the mid-day tour run by CITY TOUR (*NOT* the Trekking Travel bus - old bus) and see the Citadel and several tombs before evening.

You could then catch either the 08.00H or 13.00H OpenTour Bus - SINH is recommended (safe) avoid Camel, Hung Thanh and Trekking Travel OpenTour buses (all have had multiple crashes in the past year) - to Hoi An.

I recommend the Nhi Nhi Hotel (has a pool) in Hoi An as it is close to the Ancient Town yet not surrounded by tourist traps (avoid Impressions Boutique - do a Google and see why).

The Nhi Nhi contact info is: Tel: 0510-916-718; Fax: 0510-916-718; E-m: vancamdn@yahoo.com or letannhinhiha@yahoo.com; Web: www.hoiannhinhihotel.com/

The Hoi An beach is Cua Dai where there are WHIRLPOOLS (Cua Dai hotels prefer you not to know) and a parking scam (they try to persuade you to park by pretending to be policemen!).

I would then fly from Da Nang (an hour north of Hoi An) to Phu Quoc transitting at HCMC as Nha Trang is no longer the nice place it used to be.

Three days before you depart, head back to HCMC and 'do' the sites. This will put you in your city of departure avoiding possible weather delays in Phu Quoc.

NOTE that 3 weeks is sufficient for a much more detailed tour - have you considered visiting Sa Pa (out of Ha Noi)?

#7 Posted: 21/12/2007 - 21:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
help neede, your opinion on itinerary ... By marie79 on 3 Jan 2010 2 1436 4 Jan 2010
2nd opinion for the 1st part of my travel itinerary please!! ... By Lakey on 31 Jul 2009 3 3081 7 Aug 2009
Could you please have a look at my 23 day singapore/malaysia itinerary and give your opinion? Thanks ... By richkimmens on 28 Feb 2008 0 2704 28 Feb 2008
SE Asia itinerary: quick opinion needed! ... By dommels on 7 Feb 2014 0 1069 7 Feb 2014
Suggestions / Opinion on Itinerary - Thailand & Cambodia ... By shadek on 23 Dec 2009 1 1977 31 Dec 2009
First time Great Indochina loop: opinion on itinerary, thanks! ... By t0uchable on 5 Mar 2010 8 5132 23 Mar 2010
Request for Expert Opinion on my Tentative One-Month Itinerary ... By srk052004 on 22 May 2009 5 1930 8 Jun 2009
13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion? ... By jivie798 on 31 Mar 2013 4 2339 15 May 2013