Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Nanning - Hanoi - Nanning

• fiedlerc

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2007

I have read some of threads regarding buses to/from hanoi. My question is where in Hanoi does the bus stop that leaves at 7.30am from Nanning? I need to go to the Tay Ho district and need to know how far this is from where we will get off the us. Also, can someone tell me how much in RMB it is for the ticket?
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 27/12/2007 - 16:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I don't know the answer to this, but have put it across to our man in Hanoi -- will report pack when I hear from him.

#2 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 12:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My best info is that the bus in question comes in from the northeast along Nguyen Van Cu in Long Bien district, but does not stop at the Gai Lam Bus Station along the way.

It crosses the Chuong Duong bridge and then heads south a few kilometres to the Hong Ha Hotel on Tran Quang Khai.

All along that road there are bus stops for buses headed north to Tay Son district which is just a few kilometres away. Buses 31, 41 and 55 go up the main road, Au Co, and cost 5,000 VND, but a xe om or taxi shouldn't be expensive.

The Nanning Bus is 270,000 VND from Hanoi, probably about US$17 coming the other way.

Hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 29/12/2007 - 18:48

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Crossing Borders: the Chinese / VietNam border by bus
    For many years some citizens of PingXiang, GuangXi Province, China have been making a killing from cross-border Travellers needing transportation between their city - with the rail head (or terminus) and the border but the Wild West times in China are over.

NanNing, the capital city of GuangXi Province, now has a daily bi-directional bus link with Ha Noi, VietNam thanks to Yunde Bus NanNing < www.yunde.cn/index12-17.html > and a Chinese invested Vietnamese company - Lang Son Auto Transportation using modern buses. The only drawback is that passengers are required to change buses when crossing the border.

HA NOI >> NANNING
    This is a very easy journey for Westerners.

Make a reservation with KIM LIEN TRAVEL by calling +84-(0)-4-577-0434; FAXing +84-(0)-4-577-0346; hand/cell +84-913-525-389. You MUST attend their office located in the Kim Lien Hotel < www.hanoihotel.net/home/Kim_Lien_Hotel_Hanoi_Vietnam.asp >, 07 Dao Duy Anh Street, Ha Noi; Tel: +84-(0)-4-852-2522; FAX / Fax: 84-(0)-4-852-1209 NO LATER THAN 07.30H on the day of departure to claim and pay for your seat. Seating is reserved.

The bus departs promptly at 08.00H. During the approximate 4-hour journey to the border you are given water and a snack and there is one scheduled toilet stop.

At the border you must recover your baggage and carry it about 100 yards to the Immigration and Customs office where you have to lift it up 19 steps. As this border post is manned by junior staff they do their job very diligently and s-l-o-w-l-y. But don't worry, the bus drivers will wait for you.

After having your passport minutely inspected, and stamped, you then load your baggage into an X-ray machine where no one is looking at the screens.

You then exit the border post by climbing down another 11 steps, hauling your baggage about 100 metres across the unmarked physical border nd walking into the Chinese Immigration and Customs post. No steps!

Here you are required to complete some forms so have a pen handy. One of them is a Departure Card, take one, which is handy to complete at your leisure before leaving China. After form-filling you have to line up behind a yellow line to wait for immigration waiting for the totally humourless officers.

If you thought you had seen bureaucracy on the Vietnamese side, you are about to witness even more. The writer had a staple in his passport which had held a Vietnamese form and the Chinese immigration officer spent about two minutes trying to learn what the staple was for! The minute inspection is repeated - as if anyone wants to escape into China - edges of passport pages, passport page stitching, etc. They also subject passports disctretely to an ultra-violet light and a chemical sniffer.

Caution: Your activities, body language, etc. are closely observed by separate immigration officers and on TV cameras.

Following immigration procedures you have to load your baggage into another X-ray machine. Seemingly this machine is unmanned as the writer was carrying a small satellite dish, electronics equipment and tools that caused no excitement.

After leaving the Immigration and Customs another walk, up a small hill past the old Friendship Gate (the border has been realigned to the south) to the Chinese bus. Toilets and snack dispensers are inside the old Gate on the Chinese side.

After boarding the Chinese bus, and occupying the seat number used in the Vietnamese bus, you are presented with a bottle of water and a can of tasty vegetarian rice juk (rice porridge) and after about 2 hours of uneventful highway travel the bus arrives at crowded NanNing < www.nanning.gov.cn/index.htm >,stopping first at the Rail Station and then the NanNing LangDong Bus Station,186 Minzu Dadao Avenue, NanNing (BUS ROUTES 6, 25, 42, 45,52, 206 and 213)(note carefully - there are at least 6 bus stations in NanNing < www.nanning.gov.cn/2453/list.htm >). Map: < www.robsnanningsite.com/nanningmap.html >)

NANNING >> HA NOI
    Since the NanNing LangDong Bus Station is *always* very crowded the best option is to board the bus to the VietNam border at the NAN FANG HOTEL < www.nanning.gov.cn/2457/2004_10_8/2457_35698_1097203509001.html >, 76 ChaoYang Road, NanNing, GuangXi Province, 530011 where it is the ONLY bus at 07.00H each day!

The hotel is about 300 metres from the railway station. BUS #8 (for routes see < www.nanning.gov.cn/2453/2005_11_6/2453_35908_1131252666944.html >), from downtown (MinZu DaDao Avenue and ChaoYang Road)(Walmart), stops outside the Nan Fang Hotel. Map: < www.robsnanningsite.com/images/Map5.jpg >.

You must be in possession of a Vietnamese visa. These can be obtained from: The Consul of VietNam, GuangXi Investment Building/Floor 3, 109 Minzu Dadao, NanNing, GuangXi Zhuang Auto Region 530000. Tel: +86-(0)-138-7710-0849 (Call first). The office is on Bus route #6.

Ticket purchase is necessary BEFORE the day of travel. The reservation office is easy to find after you have located the Nan Fang Hotel. It is located on the far side of the road that intersects with ChaoYang Road to the LEFT of the hotel. It is signed with Ticket office of the Lang Dong Bus Station (on a red background). It opens at 08.00H (after the bus departs) and is the ONLY office that sells tickets for the bus at the hotel. Only Chinese is spoken.

The bus departs promptly and picks up other passengers at NanNing LangDong Bus Station after which it departs for the border with refreshments provided.

The tedious border procedures are repeated and the Vietnamese bus awaits in the south car park and following a 130-kilometre, 3-4 hour journey you are delivered to the Kim Lien Hotel.

BE AWARE of the hotel sales scam running on the bus INTO Ha Noi - they try to sell Ha Noi Blue Sky Hotel - a high priced, filthy hotel on Hang Ma. Tell the woman (who gets on the bus) you hear her hotel is no good - she will quit bugging you then.

BUS is DEFINITELY better than slow rail with dubious customs / immigration into China.

Note that China is ONE HOUR AHEAD of VN time.

Repost if you need more info about NanNing hotel / connections.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 23:27

• fiedlerc

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2007

CatBa,
    thanks for the very informative and entertaining description of the chinese/vietnamese border crossing. One more thing, can I book the bus from nanning on the day i arrive or do i need to book in advance? I get to nanning about 6PM on the 13th and need to get the 7am bus on the 14th of feb.
    thanks

#5 Posted: 14/1/2008 - 18:32

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Thanks for your compliments.

Unfortunately, the ticket office is very bureaucratic and shuts around 17.30H YET YOU MUST PRE-PURCHASE YOUR TICKET to board the bus!

The GuangXi Yunde Transportation Company, this bus route operator, also has offices in ChongZuo,GuiYang, MaCau, Hong Kong and GuangDong. It has a (Chinese language) web site < http://www.yunde.cn/title_list.asp?id=35 >.

If you can try to get some Chinese/English speaking person to translate. Maybe you can book the ticket through another Yunde office.

STIPULATE you want to board at the Nanfung Hotel - it is the only bus that leaves the hotel and you can't get lost! The bus station is way different - even the drivers get confused!

BTW, you might be asked for a couple of extra Yuan - this is for passenger insurance, something you don't get on VN buses.

Finally, if you use a taxi, please remember to pay the driver ONE EXTRA YUAN ON TOP OF METERED FARE, which compensates him for increased gas prices. Even the Chinese pat this additional Yuan, you should too.

Good luck with your travels.

P.S. 2008 FEB 07 is Chinese New Lunar Year and Vietnamese Tet Festival. THE BUSES WILL BE VERY, VERY BUSY between Ha Noi and NanNing - BOOK EARLY. The bus company simply adds buses until almost all passengers are accommodated.

Accommodation will be extremely tight in Ha Noi - have you booked yet?

#6 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 00:31

• fiedlerc

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2007

catba,where r u located? china or vietnam? I live in Beijing and may get down to nanning a day earlier to make sure i get a bus ticket for the 14th. I got to be in hanoi on the 14th.dont need hotel res, its all been done.just have to get from whereever the bus drops me off in hanoi to the sheraton hanoi. how long will this take?

#7 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 09:20

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

I've been based in VietNam for the last 16 years. Still learning new things as much now as when I first arrived.

The is at K5 Nghi Tam, 11 Xuan Dieu Road Tay Ho District whereas the bus drop off point is at Kim Lien Hotel which is, naturally, in the Kim Lien District.

Given the state of the roads, the massive city-wide road redevelopement scheme it shouldn't take more than an hour. (The bus usually arrives in the middle of the afternoon commuter rush!)

The booking office NEAR Nanfung Hotel is a 10 minute ride from the RR station. Miss the office hours and you miss the bus as the office only opens at 08.00H - 30 minutes after the bus leaves.

I presume you also know you MUST have a VN visa to board the bus.

#8 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 17:26

• fiedlerc

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2007

hi catba,
    picking up my visa tomorrow.;-)))want to meet 4 vietnamese cafe in hanoi? either on the 14th or before i go back on the 23rd. Would be nice to hear some vietnam stories and info as this is going to be my next destination after finishing work in china. My email is gobidesert2006@yahoo.com.
    claudia

#9 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 22:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bus from Nanning to Hanoi ... By dave07 on 10 Apr 2007 17 12101 12 Jan 2012
Trains Hanoi-Nanning ... By Danka on 13 Jul 2006 14 21117 27 Dec 2010
Bus or Rail from Nanning to Hanoi? ... By mundovagabunda on 1 Nov 2010 5 5437 6 Nov 2010
Book ticket to Nanning ... By mixtourist on 28 Oct 2013 0 699 28 Oct 2013
Anywhere with a English menu in Nanning? ... By miriam123 on 22 Sep 2013 0 626 22 Sep 2013
Nanning (China) to Mong Cai (Vietnam) ... By caiuss on 17 Apr 2012 0 2198 17 Apr 2012