Vietnam forum

Trying to keep to no more than a 3 week trip

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Hi
    I really need to keep to a 3 week trip but so far have come up with the following - 25 nights plus flying time. Any ideas on where I can trim it back?
    I am not a trekker but a keen photorapher so should I drop the Sapa section and save 3 nights or drop the Delta section instead?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Fly to Hanoi arrive evening spend 2n,Halong Bay 1n, back to Hanoi 1n, then overnight train to Lao Cai/Sapa, Sapa 1n then overnight train to Hanoi fly to Hue 2n, Hoi An 3n, fly to Nha Trang 3n, fly to Phu Quoc via HCMC, Phu Quoc 4n, fly to HCMC 3n (including a day trip to Cu Chi tunnels), Chao Doc 1n, Can Tho 1n, back to HCMC fly out 9pm.

#1 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 13:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi downundergal,

Currently you've got for a 21 night trip at least 24 nights:

Hanoi 2 nights
    Ha Long Bay 1 night
    Hanoi 1 night
    enroute to sapa 1 night
    Sapa 1 night
    enroute to hanoi 1 night
    Hue 2 nights
    Hoi An 3 nights
    Nha Trang 3 nights
    Phu Quoc 4 nights
    HCM 3 nights
    Chau Doc 1 night
    Can Tho 1 night

Phew! So where are you going on holiday to get over the above! :-)

Here's a couple of things that stand out:

1) First, why are you going to Chau Doc? It's out of the way - most people go there enroute to Cambodia... I'm not saying it's a dump -- I quite like it, but it's quite a detour...

2) Fly one way to Phu Quoc, but go the other way overland -- that way you save the time spent having to loop through Saigon. So for example go:
    HCN ->fly ->PQ ->overland ->Can Tho ->overland HCM

3) If you've got 4 nights on PQ you don't need 3 nights in Nha Trang. The beaches on PQ are FAR better and you can dive there as well (I'm assuming that's why you've got a long stay in NT).

4) If you're a keen photographer, then I think you'd find Sapa worthwhile, as the people and the scenery there are, well, photogenic! Many opt for the overnight each way and one night there, so your time there isn't unusual.

If all the above fails, just take a longer holiday ;-)

#2 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 14:51

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks for your prompt feedback.
    So if I drop Chau Doc thats 1 night any other ideas?
    I thought about going overland 1 way to Pho Quoc after I posted or do I also drop Can Tho and fly both ways?
    I have opted for 3 nights in Nha Trang for some more downtime or do I skip it altogether?
    The start of the trip is messy but I can't see a way around it if we want to visit both Halong and Sapa.
    Arggh!

#3 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.