Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Kayaking & Camping in Halong Bay

• carolyns

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just wanted to put in a plug for the 3-day seakayaking and camping trip that Handspan has - we stayed at a "base camp" on one of the islands in Halong Bay which was really comfortable and the food was great. We stayed in little huts with mattresses on the floor (2 to a hut), with mosquito nets. They even had hot showers available.

There were only three of us on the trip and we kayaked about 2 hours on the first afternoon - all day the second day and for another 2 -3 hours on the last day. We didn't get the "junk" boat experience (but we weren't really that excited about being stuck on a boat) and hardly saw any other tourist boats as base camp seems to be in a different area. That said, we sure saw the garbage that is partially contributed by tourist boats!

#1 Posted: 5/1/2008 - 21:40

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Camping, that is in the wilds under the stars and canvas, is generally frowned on by the police as people have to be registered with them! Fields are not approved accommodation for foreigners.

The police are known for finding accommodation for people who really want to camp in the wilds - even if the accommodation is worse than living in your tent.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 23:33

• carolyns

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

Sorry I should have clarified. It was very clear to us that it was one of the few approved areas (?only?) to "camp" - it is eco-friendly (they haul all their garbage out) and even arrange for a major kayak trip each year where they collect garbage on the bay (making only a small dent I'm sure). Additionally, the camp is visited by the park ranger every day. We definitely registered in the same way we registered at any hotel in Vietnam.

#3 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 21:09

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Sounds great Carolyns, can give you give some idea of the package cost? Also, where did you find Handspans - in Hanoi or Ha Long? Thanks.

#4 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 07:40

• alicjusia

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2008

carolyns, did you have all your staff with you? I mean backpack, or you paid for hotel for that nights you were on halongbay trip and all left there?
    what price did you have?
    a

#5 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 16:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.