Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Whale Island or Phu Quoc?

• jzar

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

Hi,
    I wiil be travelling solo to Vietnam in Feb 08.
    Part of my itinerary is:2 nights in Hoi An and then on the 3rd day Transfer by road & boat to secluded Whale Island for 2 days and then one night in Nha Trang to catch overnight train to HCMC.(after that - i plan to do a 3 day boat ride on mekong Delta into Cambodia-Phnom Penh.

Questions:
    Should I stick to this and go to whale island or should I go to Phu Quoc instead via HCMC (transit) for 3 days? Is this long enough?

Also, shuld I buy ticket to Phu Quoc from Danang (via HCMC) and not return by plane to HCMC as I want to do Mekong.Can you go to Mekong to Phenom Penh via boat from Phu Quoc?

#1 Posted: 6/1/2008 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• jzar

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

ok,
    really need some answers here so this is what I need to know since my itinerary is very full and doesnt leave much room--especially if its worth just going to Phnenom Penh in Cambodia?

After my stay in Hanoi--should I carry on to whale island as mentioned above,or fly from Da Nang(1hr north of hoi an) to HCMC to go to Phu Quoc)?
    or am I missing out by not going to whale island and nha trang?

#2 Posted: 6/1/2008 - 23:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I would go to Whale Island OR Phu Quoc -- you don't have time for both -- my personal preference would be Phu Quoc, although it is quite a diversion, as if you're planning on overlanding between Hoi An and Nha Trang you'll be passing right by Whale Island.

I'd fly one way to Phu Quoc, then overland back Rach Gia -> Can Tho -> Chau Doc -> boat to Phnom Penh.

I like Phnom Penh a lot, but if you're only going to have time for the capital and only one night (you don't say how long you will have there), then I'd lean towards skipping it, spending more time in Vietnam and saving Cambodia for your next trip!

Vietnam is a BIG country -- if you're travelling every other day, chances are you are trying to see too much.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 06:31

• jzar

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

Thanks so much for your informative reply.
    You are absolutely correct and think maybe I was trying to do too much. So I have decided that 2.5 weeks in Vietnam should not be pushed with a side trip into Cambodia. I have decided to see Cambodia some day soon during another trip to Thailand.
    I have also opted to see Whale Island instead.
    Thanks So much

#4 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 16:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Whale Island Dilema ... By jzar on 14 Jan 2008 2 3053 22 Feb 2008
Nha Trang to Whale Island? ... By marie516 on 10 May 2011 1 3429 14 May 2011
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 3972 5 Dec 2008