Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Whale Island Dilema

• jzar

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

Hi,
    I catered for 2 nights on whale island for my itinerary as well as 1 night in Nha Trang afterwards(travelling from Hoi An)

i have read so many websites that really say "avoid" whale island as places there are very expensive for what they offer.Should I not go to whale island?

i was thinking of spending maybe an extra night in Hoi An and maybe 2 nights (instead of one) in Nha Trang as I believe you can do day trips from there?(or maybe 3 nights in nha trang as I will be staying no less than 2 night in Hoi An)

What day trip boats tours do you recommend from nha trang?

What hotels do you recommend for Nha trang and if you advise not to miss whale island, where should I stay there.

i am travelling on my own.

#1 Posted: 14/1/2008 - 01:32

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree that a Whale Island visit is not value for money.

Hoi An is a quiet place compared to Nha Trang, which has many of the worst parts in visiting as Ha Noi or HCMC.

As for NT accommodation, I suggest you check out the following:

/------------------------------
    BA TU Guesthouae(Room 203 is popular with many)
    34-G1 Nguyen Thien Thuat
    Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa
    Tel: 058-522-466
    Hand Phone: 0905-369-867
    ------------------------------/

If you are looking for the beach scene always remember Mui Ne - 6 hours south of NT. There recommended accommodation is:

/------------------------------
    Ocean View Bungalows (Kim Ngan Guesthouse)
    Than 3, Ham Thien
    Mui Ne, Phan Thiet
    Tel: 062-847-046
    Mobile: 0908-848-641 (Nhong)
    E-m: KimNganVilla@Yahoo.Com
    ------------------------------/

If you go to Cua Dai Beach - Hoi An's beach area - make sure you don't get taken by the bicycle parking scam (guy dressed in olive clothing with old red / white stick in his hand NEAR THE POST OFFICE.

Also, the Beach has a dangerous WHIRLPOOL which regularly drowns people - but the neighboring Golden Sands Resort prefers you not to know about it! The commune does fly flags but they are small and hardly stand out where the national flag is red.

The public beach area nearer the Palm Gardens is far better and has great beach restaurants.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2008 - 07:33

• jzar

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

Thanks for the info.

ok, as planned I will spend 2 nights in Hoi An and catch the bus to Nha Trang and possibly skip whale island (as I would have been beaching in thailand for two weeks prior to vietnam-so i would have had a beach holiday).Then after hoi an I have 3 nights to spare before i catch a flight from Nha trang to Saigon.

So what can i do for 3 nights making my way down from Hoi An to Nha trang?

#3 Posted: 14/1/2008 - 18:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Whale Island or Phu Quoc? ... By jzar on 6 Jan 2008 3 4598 7 Jan 2008
Nha Trang to Whale Island? ... By marie516 on 10 May 2011 1 3499 14 May 2011