Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Last minute train availability from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang

• chichinic

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2008

I am flying into Ho Chi Min at 2:30pm on March 3rd and was wondering if it would be possible (and easy) to book a train ticket to Nha Trang that evening (11:00pm). Any chance it will be fully booked? Where would be the best place to buy the tickets - At the train station close to 11 or in town?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 28/1/2008 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Check out: < http://222.253.120.101/enver/index.php >.

Note that trains leave PROMPTLY on time and you should get to the station at least 30 minutes prior to departure.

This is a private train running on Duong Sat rail lines.

The address is: Saigon Railway Station, 1 Nguyen Thong, District 3, HCMC. Tel. (0)-8-436-528. GPS Locator: N10 46.965 E106 40.629.

The quick route from the airport is via Cach Mang Thang Tam Street - a very, very busy street. If you return to HCMC by rail and want to go to downtown have the cabby use Dien Bien Phu Street and Hai Ba Trung Street - it's quicker.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2008 - 06:51

• chichinic

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2008

Thank you Catba for the information!

I am sorry to bother you all but I have a few more questions.

What are the chances that the Regular SE 04 train will be fully booked by last minute or 30 minutes prior to departure? Also, Does anyone know the difference between the Class D adjustable seats and the Sofa's in Class C on the 5 star Express?

Thanks in advance

#3 Posted: 29/1/2008 - 10:57

• chichinic

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2008

Thank you Catba for the information!

I am sorry to bother you all but I have a few more questions.

What are the chances that the Regular SE 04 train will be fully booked by last minute or 30 minutes prior to departure? Also, Does anyone know the difference between the Class D adjustable seats and the Sofa's in Class C on the 5 star Express?

Thanks in advance

#4 Posted: 29/1/2008 - 11:01

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

The 'regular' trains are owned / operated by Duong Sat (Road of Steel - VN Rail) and are somewhat older than the 5* Express.

The 5* Express is a new train set (built by Duong Sat) running on DS rail lines.

Obviously this implies the 5* is best - which is a fact.

YOU HAVE TO PRE-BOOK TO GUARANTEE A SEAT - if you want to travel before 2008FEB10 you are likely SOOL as it is Tet. I have given you the URL for the 5* Express, above.

#5 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 10:52

• chichinic

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2008

Hey there,

Actually, I tried to book via the site CatBa mentioned above. It was kinda strange. I had to sign up first on a unsecure site and give my passport details. When I finally booked, I couldn't pay. I tried to email them and fax them but no response so far. Is that normal?

#6 Posted: 31/1/2008 - 20:42

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

I checked the procedure and whilst it is correct it is not secure, passport data is not that important without the document.

Why not try e-mailing them? < info@5starexpress.com.vn >

You can rest assured that almost NO TICKETS are available on bog standard trains (Duong Sat) and that you might be forced to look at an OpenTour bus.

The best is Mei Linh, Hoang Long and Sinh. The rest I wouldn't even use to ship dead animals on. (I have lived in VN for 16 years and know the buses and drivers well).

Mei Linh HCMC info is:
    /-------------------------------
    Mai Linh Express
    520 Le Hong Phong, P1
    District 10
    Ho Chi Minh City / SaiGon,
    Tel: +84-(0)-8-929-2929
    E-m: ml@mailinh.vn
    GPS: 10N45.869 / 106E40.537
    -------------------------------/
    As you don't indicate where you are located so I can't give you the nearest ML office info.

#7 Posted: 31/1/2008 - 21:10

• chichinic

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2008

Thank you for the info CatBA!

I sent them (info@5starexpress.com.vn) a email yesterday in addition to a fax but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I am intending on Departing from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang on March 2nd and returning back on March 7th.

The only reason why I am worried about booking in town earlier that day is because my time is limited and I won't be arriving into the airport until 2:30pm. I don't want to risk not being able to buy a ticket for that night.

Anyways, hopefully I will hear back from them, after all it's only been a day.

Thanks again for the info.

#8 Posted: 31/1/2008 - 22:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Availability of train/bus from Thap Cham to Nha Trang? ... By cloud on 23 Sep 2010 2 2143 24 Sep 2010
Nha Trang - Ho Chi Minh sleeper train song ... By helsbels24 on 21 Apr 2013 1 3209 23 Apr 2013
Buying train tickets at the station last minute... risky? ... By qaq01 on 16 Dec 2008 6 3994 17 Jan 2009