Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Visiting Ho Chi Minh City? Go Spoil Yourself!

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Most visitors to HCMC/SaiGon spend only a few days before either departing the country - or heading north.

As a result many miss the night markets ... and the nightly dining opportunities instead frequently haunting the tourist feeding holes that offer the same old choice. Break out and taste the difference!

Within walking distance of the Backpacker area and the upscale area around Dong Khoi and Hai Ba Trung Streets you could be hard pressed to discover fresh food cooked perfectly than the outside food areas of Ben Thanh Market.

Although the market proper closes at 18.00H (opens at 5.30H) the adjoining streets become populated with multiple restaurants offering dishes from all over VietNam although predominantly the south.

And the prices are hard to match. For example, a WHOLE fish cooked in ginger or fried or barbecued in aluminum foil with a soft-drink and a SaiGon beer only costs about VND95,000 (USD$5.94).

After you have filled yourself, take a stroll around the surrounding street markets. Another outlet that is very popular for retail therapy is the SaiGon Square on Pasteur near Le Loi. The adjoining restaurant is a good place to feed a hungry family.

At this time the centre lanes of Nguyen Hue have been blocked off and a series of exhibitions depict life in other parts of the country - not pictures but real ponds, plants and buildings.

#1 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 22:11

• Advertisement

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hello CatBa,

Are you Vietnamese? (me too).

Within walking distance of the Backpacker area and the upscale area around Dong Khoi and Hai Ba Trung Streets you could be hard pressed to discover fresh food cooked perfectly than the outside food areas of Ben Thanh Marke - Cho nay la cho nao vay? (Where is this place? Cho Ben Thanh?)

Shoot me an email - kptn82@gmail.com

#2 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 20:24

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hello CatBa,

Are you Vietnamese? (me too).

Within walking distance of the Backpacker area and the upscale area around Dong Khoi and Hai Ba Trung Streets you could be hard pressed to discover fresh food cooked perfectly than the outside food areas of Ben Thanh Marke - Cho nay la cho nao vay? (Where is this place? Cho Ben Thanh?)

Shoot me an email - kptn82@gmail.com

#3 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 20:24

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The night food markets were closed for Tet holiday.

They are located on both sides of Cho Ben Thanh - my favourite is SaiGon Quan - right hand side of market (looking at the front) right at the back on Le Than Ton - greatest seafood and the best prices.

I'm from the West, my wife and daughter are Vietnamese.

#4 Posted: 13/2/2008 - 23:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.