Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos - In 11 days?

• rooster

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2008

My freinds and I are due to travel to Hanoi on 17/03 returning from Hanoi on 28/03. This gives us 11 days, which we are hoping to go around Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

This is the provisional destination hittng list we have (to go round in this order)

-Hanoi
    -Halong Bay or Hue
    -Hoi An
    -HCMC (Saigon)
    -Siem Reap (Angkor)
    -Phnom Penh
    -Vientiane
    -Luang Prabang
    -Hanoi

There is a lot there so here are the Qs:

1) Time: is it feasible to do this within 11 days?
    2) Priorities: What are the must sees in V/C/L given the time.
    3) Travel: What travel arrangements are worth making, air, bus, coach? Any information on travel most welcome.
    4) Accomodation: Any useful places to stay in the above locations?

Thats all for now, its a very general Q at the moment but need to gauge from peeps who have been there or are there of what logistial constraints there are.

Look forward to your responses. Happy travels and blogging.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 17:53

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

You should first recognise that the distance / time ratio you are familiar with in your home country are way different and journeys will often take double or more time.

Ha Noi through Ho Chi Minh City usually requires a minimum of three weeks.

Ha Long Bay is usually a 2-day trip; Hue is a 12 hour road trip from Ha Noi - a three plus hours by air (city centre to city centre). Hue city can be adequately covered by a half-day City Tour bus tour.

If you are going to Hoi An plan on staying over in Hue overnight and taking a 4 hour bus journey to Hoi An.

Hoi An doesn't have an airport so you will spend the better part of a day in a bus and aircraft getting into HCMC. Hoi An requires a day and a night to even quickly see the important parts of town.

HCMC generally require almost 3 days to see everything.

There are flights to Siem Reap, from HCMC, or a 1 day road journey to PP and another day to SR. IMHO PP can be given a miss.

Assume two-thirds of a day to fly into each of your other destinations then add at least 1.5 days for each of your Laos destinations.

Bottom line is, to my mind, to much in to short a time.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 03:59

• lolamcg

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Hi Rooster. I have never been to Vietnam, but based on my research, it seems that your time might be better spent in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay given the amount of time it takes to get to Hoi An. I was in Cambodia last year, and I found Angkor to be a far more valuable experience than Phnom Penh. I would skip PP and spend at least a day and a half touring Angkor and enjoying Siem Reap in the evening. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 07:43

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Rooster:

As CatBa pointed out, too much in too little time. I hate to say anything is impossible, but this itinerary is in the running.

Eleven days.

Idea 1: You could see Ha Noi (3 days [4 nights] to do it justice); a 2 day, 1 night Ha Long cruise; fly to Hue (2 nights); Hoi An (2 nights). You're up to nine nights. You could add a close-in overnight from Ha Noi (Ninh Binh/Tam Coc, etc.), or add a night somewhere else.

Idea 2: Fly in to Sai Gon (4 nights); fly up to Nha Trang or spend some time in the Delta; go to Da Lat; maybe work in Phan Thiet/Mui Ne.

Idea 3: Wait until you can bank more time and go for a longer time?

There are several variations on this theme, and perhaps others will weigh in. Bottom line, I guess, is do a lot of research and try as hard as you can to severely limit the scope of your travels. My prejudice is always towards more time in less places.

Happy travels!

#4 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 11:07

• travel2viet-
    nam2010

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2010

@Rooster
    All people are right. Travelling to too much places in 11 days. I advise you to travel on plan to save your time. I would like to propose the itinerary for you as following:

Day 1: Hanoi arrival - Free time
    Day 2: Hanoi - Halong bay
    Day 3: Halong bay - Hanoi fly to Danang - Hoi An .
    Day 4: Hoi An free time
    Day 5: Hoi An - Danang - Siemriep ( flight)
    Day 6: Angkor visit
    Day 7: Angkor visit
    Day 8: Siemriep - Vientiane
    Day 8: Vientiane visit
    Day 9: Vientiane - Luangprabang by car
    Day 10: Luangprabang
    Day 11: Luangprabang - Hanoi - fly out

Have any question, feel free to ask people here.
    @Archmichael: nice to meet you again there.

Happy travelling

#5 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 23:33

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ travel2vietnam2010: Yes. Hello again.

I would have to say, though, Post #5 is still too much moving around for eleven days.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 01:04

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Even two countries in 11 days is pushing it.

I'd just stick to Vietnam as i think you'll get more out of the holiday that way

#7 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 02:21

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

No way is that itinerary possible even if you flew every single route. 11 days is not a lot of time.

<"Hoi An doesn't have an airport"> True, but Da Nang has an international airport half hour from Hoi An.

If I were you I'd stick to Vietnam - Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, fly to Hue, Hoi An, fly back to Ha Noi from Da Nang. (If it were me I'd cut out Hue, fly to Da Nang and spend an extra day or two around Hoi An, that way you could get a roundtrip from Ha Noi to Da Nang to Ha Noi).

Altenrately... Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, fly Ha Noi to HCMC, fly roundtrip HCMC to Siem Reap back to HCMC, fly HCMC to Ha Noi. This would be more expensive, a lot of flights and not a lot of time at each place. Or you could do a roundtrip from Ha Noi to Luang Prabang instead of going to HCMC/Siem Reap. This would also be an expensive flight.

Personally I would save Laos and Cambodia for another trip. Just do Ha Noi/Ha Long/Hoi An and maybe Hue. Just that would be a good experience.

#8 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 12:38

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

As Christay2009 and DLuek say: too much in too little time. Concentrate on the northern part of Viet Nam (Ha Noi, Ha Long, Hue, Hoi An, etc.), or the southern part (Sai Gon and various destinations accessible from there).

Flights within Viet Nam are quite inexpensive. All flights between countries (i.e., HAN>LPQ, SGN>REP, etc.) are pretty pricey.

Less destinations. More time in each. You'll have a much more enjoyable holiday.

#9 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 22:19

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

One country for 11 days - I'd pick Laos!

#10 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 02:40

• Advertisement

• LaureneCao

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2010

11 days is short time to travel around 3 three countries.
    With your time limited, I suggest you 2 options:
    Option 1: If you want to discover deeply culture, local life.
    I suggest you travel around Vietnam.
    Vietnam have a lot of “can’t be missed” destinations.
    Hanoi : 2 days, join the full- day city tour ( visit HCM mausoleum, unique one pillar pagoda ,temple of Literature, explore the Hanoi Hilton - a nick name given by US pilots during the war…) and you are free to stroll around the city .
    Halong Bay : 2 days, sight-seeing the beautiful limestone islands, explore the Cave of Surprise, swim or kayak at Hang Doi, overnight on boat.
    Hue: 1 day, visit the citadel, the traces of splendid dynasty Nguyen,Thien Mu pagoda, enjoy the boat trip along Perfume River.
    Hoi An : 1 day, explore My Son Sanctuary, join Thu bon river visiting handicraft villages, cheerful time at Cua Dai Beach.
    Nha Trang : 2 days, visit a beautiful and crystal beaches, explore Mun Island, Mot Island, Tam Island, Chai Village, relax in luxury resort.(Vinpeal Land),..
    Mekong Delta: 3 days, visit Ho Chi Minh city, expore local lfie with floating –market (Cai Be, Cai Rang), visit Nam Cat Tien National Park.
    Option 2: If you want to widely culture, adventure tour
    I suggest you travel around Vietnam and Cambodia
    Your schedule Hanoi (2day) – Halong Bay (2days) – Hue, Hoi An (3 days) – Ho Chi Minh (1 day) – Siem Reap ( 3 days) – Hanoi
    From Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap you can fly with Vietnam Airline or Laos Airline.
    In Siem Reap: You can join the cycling tour to expore Angkor Complex (Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei and the remote areas( Kompong Phlux & Rolous Group, Banteay Srei).
    From the city use can use bus or coach.
    Van Cao
    Indochina Travel Service

#11 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 11:15

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ Daawgon: Lao is great, but given logistics there, don't you think 11 days is still too little to do it justice?

@ LaureneCao (Van Cao): Both your options have these folks traveling a lot and not having much time to relax anywhere. E.g., one day at Hoi An, split between My Son and Cua Dai doesn't sound very cheerful. I think one would do a trip like that, come back, and the whole thing would seem a bit of a blur. That's my take on it, anyway.

All the best, and happy travels!

#12 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 11:32

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ Rooster:

I reread your OP and am thinking your air tickets must've already been bought. If that is so, and you are locked in to flying in and out of Ha Noi, I would suggest you restrict your holiday to the northern part of Viet Nam. Three days or so in Ha No, a Ha Long bay cruise (1 night only I would suggest, due to time constraints), perhaps up to Sapa, down to Hue and/or Hoi An . The beach at Hoi An really is quite nice. At least this way, you're flying within Viet Nam, which is cheaper than flights between countries in SE Asia.

Luang Prabang is beautiful, but you can't fly directly into there.....you have to go through Ha Noi, Sai Gon or Bangkok first, which would eat up some time.

#13 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 11:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Rooster's question was from February 2008. ;-)

#14 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 23:16

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Well, hey, like I said ... tickets already bought (and used) :)

Calendrically challenged sometimes........

#15 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 23:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

who knows? some people really like to plan ahead! either way, great suggestions for the next person who comes along. cheers.

#16 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 23:56

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Thanks, Exacto!

Happy travels!

#17 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 03:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

lol, I was wondering why rooster hadn't replied. Too funny...

#18 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 13:27

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Yep ... note to self: read the whole post. Twice.

#19 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 22:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do you have access to Scotty on the starship enterprise? Can he beam you from place to place? Because if the answer to that question is no, then there is no way in hell this schedule is feasible.

#20 Posted: 28/2/2010 - 01:12

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

inspired by my thumbnail there mac? :)

#21 Posted: 28/2/2010 - 02:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25 days in Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam ... By shelld on 28 Dec 2007 2 3102 29 Dec 2007
Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam in 14 days!!! ... By InmaLaguna on 12 Dec 2012 12 1671 13 Dec 2012
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4408 20 Mar 2011
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5597 14 Apr 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 2070 5 Jun 2013
North Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia in about 35 days. In doubt about route. ... By travelgravel on 30 May 2013 1 760 31 May 2013
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1994 2 Oct 2012