Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

weather!!- how bad up north?

• fishtails04

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

ok, maybe i planned badly but i really didn't expect things to be so cold and wet in vietnam at this time of year! all the locals tell me it's not normal, it's the coldest spring in 50 years etc etc...
    i had a week of gorgeous sunshine in the centralhighlands and then hit hoi an and greya skies, chilly winds and drizzle... god, it's like being back in ireland!
    i had to break my vow not to go near the tailors' shops in hoi an as i was frozen and needed a fleece made. and i'm heading north...which means it's going to get worse...
    so, my question is...how bad is it up north? i am headed from hue to ninh binh and then on to hanoi, haloing bay, saopa (god help me...) and round the northwest to the dien bien phu border crossing with laos. i fear i will die of the cold, i've got so used to blue skies and heat. so, if you're up north, please let me know how bad it is so i can get some warmer stuff it required. especially for the northwest -0 is it going to be so misty and drizzly that all the views are swallowed up? if so, i may cut that bit short, so it would a be a help to know...
    thanks a million for any input

#1 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 17:47

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

HaNoians are complaining about the 'cold' winter - it was 16C the other day.

Make sure you have plenty of blankets as many hotels have little or no heating.

BE AWARE OF FUME EMITTING SPACE HEATERS - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WINDOW OPEN! Better to freeze 'stiff' rather than becoming a 'stiff'.

Avoid HaNoi Blue Sky, Eden Hotel hotels - check this web sites hotel reports to avoid the worst. Riding a cab, use Mei Linh (formerly VN Taxi, DeLuxe) and read the meter aloud as you travel so you can spot a 'fast' meter.

#2 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 18:04

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Okay so I was in Hanoi at the beginning of Feb and it was consistently about 8-10 degrees C. It dropped off even further just as we left. Basically I was wearing 7 layers on my top half (warm fitting cottons etc) with the 2 outers being thick jackets and Halong Bay was almost unbearable!!

#3 Posted: 11/3/2008 - 18:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Laos / north of Vietnam July / August & beaches in the north of Vietnam ... By stefanovic on 19 Dec 2006 1 6860 20 Dec 2006