Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi - Siem Reap

• eirie

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

Hello all!

I'd like to travel from Bejing all the way down to Siem Reap, where I'll work for a charity over the summer. Do you think that will be possible/enjoyable in 3 weeks?

Also, I figured out most of the route but I wonder how to get best from Hanoi to Siem Reap? Is there any recommendable bus connection?

Thanks for your help!
    Iris

#1 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 18:41

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are DEFINITELY no easy bus routes from Ha Noi to Siem Reap.

There are air routes, however, but they are not cheap.

You were unclear as to whether you had 3 weeks to travel OR 3 weeks to travel AND work.

If you look at < www.cambodia-airports.com/siemreap/en/info.asp?region=int&type=arr&timetables=go%21 > you will see that there are flights from KunMing in YunNan Province.

The bus routes from VietNam to Siem Reap all run from Ho Chi Minh City.

If you care to better define your criteria, members of the board will no doubt be able to offer suggestions. Roads in VietNam are less developed than China and the roads in Cambodia even worse than VietNam which means that travel will take longer in these countries.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2008 - 09:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As per catBa - that's a LONG way by bus! If it's three weeks for travelling, then I'd look into train from hanoi to Saigon (with a few stops of course) then bus /boat to PP and Siem Reap.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2008 - 10:00

• eirie

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

Hi again,

sorry for confusion: I have 3 weeks just to travel and will work for a month afterwards.

Has anybody done the route Hanoi-Siem Reap/PP before and can tell me how long this would approximately take?

#4 Posted: 17/2/2008 - 14:42

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

It takes 48 hours by bus OR rail to get from Ha Noi to HCMC WITHOUT stopping.

The best way is to get a train to Hue, then get a nights break then a bus to Da Nang and then again a train to Nha Trang. These trains should be overnight so you save hotel money.

At Nha Trang go up to Da Lat (3 hours on the bus) and overnight then a 6 hour journey to HCMC. One night in HCMC and the a Mai Linh Express bus will get you to Siem Reap in two days.

Drop me a line at No email solicitations please and I'll send you all the contact numbers and how to cross the border between NanNing and Ha Noi by bus.

#5 Posted: 17/2/2008 - 23:41

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

I took a flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap for $250 and that was on Tet, expensive choice of day, but i heard it was about $175-$200 normally. Easier than a bus if you can do it!

#6 Posted: 11/3/2008 - 18:11

• detski07

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

Hi CatBa. Could you please provide me with the details on how to go from Hanoi to Siem Reap - on what's the most convenient thing to do, aside from the plane ride? Thanks!

#7 Posted: 4/6/2008 - 15:31

• paradissatr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

From Hanoi to Siemreap? I would suggest flying. Log on to the website of Vietnam airline. If you want to use bus? Lord, give me 500$ and I would still refuse to do it. Too far and overexhausted. Fly, buddy.

#8 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 16:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.