Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi - Siem Reap

Posted by eirie on 15/2/2008 at 18:41

Hello all!

I'd like to travel from Bejing all the way down to Siem Reap, where I'll work for a charity over the summer. Do you think that will be possible/enjoyable in 3 weeks?

Also, I figured out most of the route but I wonder how to get best from Hanoi to Siem Reap? Is there any recommendable bus connection?

Thanks for your help!
Iris

#1 eirie has been a member since 15/2/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by CatBa on 17/2/2008 at 09:30

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are DEFINITELY no easy bus routes from Ha Noi to Siem Reap.

There are air routes, however, but they are not cheap.

You were unclear as to whether you had 3 weeks to travel OR 3 weeks to travel AND work.

If you look at < www.cambodia-airports.com/siemreap/en/info.asp?region=int&type=arr&timetables=go%21 > you will see that there are flights from KunMing in YunNan Province.

The bus routes from VietNam to Siem Reap all run from Ho Chi Minh City.

If you care to better define your criteria, members of the board will no doubt be able to offer suggestions. Roads in VietNam are less developed than China and the roads in Cambodia even worse than VietNam which means that travel will take longer in these countries.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/2/2008 at 10:00 admin

As per catBa - that's a LONG way by bus! If it's three weeks for travelling, then I'd look into train from hanoi to Saigon (with a few stops of course) then bus /boat to PP and Siem Reap.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by eirie on 17/2/2008 at 14:42

Hi again,

sorry for confusion: I have 3 weeks just to travel and will work for a month afterwards.

Has anybody done the route Hanoi-Siem Reap/PP before and can tell me how long this would approximately take?

#4 eirie has been a member since 15/2/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by CatBa on 17/2/2008 at 23:41

It takes 48 hours by bus OR rail to get from Ha Noi to HCMC WITHOUT stopping.

The best way is to get a train to Hue, then get a nights break then a bus to Da Nang and then again a train to Nha Trang. These trains should be overnight so you save hotel money.

At Nha Trang go up to Da Lat (3 hours on the bus) and overnight then a 6 hour journey to HCMC. One night in HCMC and the a Mai Linh Express bus will get you to Siem Reap in two days.

Drop me a line at No email solicitations please and I'll send you all the contact numbers and how to cross the border between NanNing and Ha Noi by bus.

#5 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by Ashe88 on 11/3/2008 at 18:11

I took a flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap for $250 and that was on Tet, expensive choice of day, but i heard it was about $175-$200 normally. Easier than a bus if you can do it!

#6 Ashe88 has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 24

Posted by detski07 on 4/6/2008 at 15:31

Hi CatBa. Could you please provide me with the details on how to go from Hanoi to Siem Reap - on what's the most convenient thing to do, aside from the plane ride? Thanks!

#7 detski07 has been a member since 4/6/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:13

From Hanoi to Siemreap? I would suggest flying. Log on to the website of Vietnam airline. If you want to use bus? Lord, give me 500$ and I would still refuse to do it. Too far and overexhausted. Fly, buddy.

#8 paradissatravel has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 14
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.