Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay Alternatives

• millerhd

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2008

I would really like to see the famous Halong Bay, but it sounds so difficult and overly touristed that I am afraid I wouldn't end up enjoying it. I understand that Halong bay is just part of the greater bay. Is there some Halong bay alternative, which is equally beautiful, or at least nearly as beautiful, that doesn't have the extensive tourism and all of the ills that go with it? Also, my budget is quite tight so expensive luxury options aren't really options for me. Thanks for the help.

#1 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 14:49

• Advertisement

• rylb01

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2008

Halong Bay type scenery extends north all the way up to China. Try Bai Tu Long Bay. Go up to Cai Rong and boat out from there.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 15:04

• millerhd

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2008

Thanks for the help. Do you think it will be any easier to tour the area there instead of just going to Halong bay? Essentially, is it worth it to go there instead of Halong?

#3 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 16:21

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

You will have to go to Ha Long Bay but then you can take local transport and visit some islands and many coastal areas that most miss.

If you are adventurous there are even hikes such as the one to the 'monastery' on a hill.

You can get a 'Flying Fish' (hydrofoil) back from the VietNam side of the border to Hai Phong. Great way to catch memories on the way back south.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2008 - 21:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.