Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Using Mobile Phones Vietnam

• ron67

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2007

What is the best and cheapest way for using a mobile phone in Vietnam ? I am with Optus in Australia, they have told me the cost is very expensive to use International Roaming. What does everybody do? Can anybody help?

#1 Posted: 23/2/2008 - 06:33

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Roaming has been the mobile industries cash cow for years.

Here in VietNam the networks with the most extensive coverage are VinaFone and MobiFone which BOTH use GSM LOW-BAND (as in Australia).

Actually MobiFone is owned by VinaFone and share many cell base stations but of the two VinaFone has the most extensive coverage.

There is also much smaller CDMA coverage by another growing network - owned by the military - but essentially cover the major cities only.

To purchase a SIMM I recommend that you go to the main VinaFone store in your city of entry - take your passport/visa - as they give you a large selection of numbers available.

The passport/visa is required for security as hand phones have been used to detonate bombs.

There are regular sales: at the moment VinaFone is offering 60% discounts if you buy VND$300,000 prepaid credit.

When you travel here resist the temptation to use your phone - I find that my hand phone gets teaser messages in HongKong, China and Thailand - as they just are waiting for you to accept roaming!

< www.vinaphone.com.vn/locale.do?language=en >, < www.mobiphone.com.vn/web/en/ >, < www.viettel.com.vn/english/ >.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2008 - 07:55

• manooe

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Once you are in Vietnam, buy a new Sim Card at around 10$.
    I recommend: Viettel network. They are the cheapest one and their quality is acceptable.

#3 Posted: 23/2/2008 - 09:58

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

What are you mainly using it for?

1) Email/google maps/....? 2) Voice & texts within Vietnam or 3) Voice & texts to international?

I a 1) type and give another vote for Vietel. Great data, even in the wilds. Cheap.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2013 - 16:18

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I've always bought a local card and put it in my regular phone from home. I don't have a contract so no unlocking or anything complicated. It's so cheap. You just opt for the english setting.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 04:27

• lazybackpac-
    ker

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

Here is an updated price list for the mobifone packages.

The MIU Data Package/Plan has increased in price to 70,000 a month for those who are not students. But still a great price imo,

I visited the local mobifone office yesterday to ask them if my package would automatically renew itself at the end of the month - and it does. So if you're wanting to try out one of these packages but do not want them to deduct money from your account each month, make sure to ask about how to cancel.

In summary - if you're visiting Vietnam, you should be able to pick up a local sim card for about US$2.50 (50,000d or less) and then add a month-long unlimited internet/data package for only a few dollars more.

BYMtBUDCQAE4hDo.jpg

#6 Posted: 3/11/2013 - 22:19

• HwangHuyDo

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013
    Location Vietnam

You should buy a new simcard but i dont know what is your devices? Iphone or android device? with i phone, you have to use micro sim as you know and should find the mobile shop, they will make it for you.
    Vietel network is recommended, coz they are widely network and 3G base on GSM technology, you can not use CDMA decides here.

#7 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 01:16

• annajuliann-
    a90

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

To use Mobile Phone in Vietnam, you just need to buy a Vietnam sim-card when you arrival Vietnam. There are 3 big providers in Vietnam: Viettel. VinaPhone and Vietnam MobiPhone, you can choose one of there providers to buy. The cost of a sim-card is very cheap. It is around USD 10.

#8 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 21:15

• ewe

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I just got a Viettel Sim Card for my Android Device a couple days ago. I believe it didnt cost more than 200.000 dong and already had some credit on it. You can get different data plans by sending text messages to 191. For instance i sent 'Mimax' to 191 and got 600mb high speed internet for 70.000d. The coverage and the speed in norther vietnam are pretty good so far

#9 Posted: 6/12/2013 - 09:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
mobile phones ... By darrenh on 25 Jan 2008 4 4377 6 Aug 2008
Mobile Phones ... By santsingh on 10 Aug 2006 10 9177 10 Jan 2011
Using Mobile Phones in Cambodia ... By ron67 on 23 Feb 2008 4 8467 24 Mar 2008
Renting Mobile Phones in Bangkok ... By CalgaryJen on 7 Mar 2007 4 2984 10 Mar 2007
Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi ... By husqvarna on 14 Dec 2009 8 3490 18 Dec 2009
Mobile internet and phones - what solutions are cheapest in SEAsia? ... By Solaris on 15 Sep 2008 1 3449 15 Sep 2008