Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Beijing - Hanoi train

• eirie

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

Hi travellers!

Can anybody give me information on the train from Beijing to Hanoi? I know that there is a twice weekly connection, I'd just like to find out if it is an interesting journey (landscape-wise or otherwise) and worth doing it.

Thanx!

#1 Posted: 24/2/2008 - 06:09

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

go to seat61.com

click on Vietnam

#2 Posted: 24/2/2008 - 06:50

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The best routing to increase your choice of trains AND reduce costs (fares outside a countries border i.e. the VietNam part are calculated is Swiss Francs which means a double currency conversion)is to go BeiJing to NanNing, GuangXi and then catch a bus across the border.

Details have been posted twice earlier but if you drop me an e-mail at and I'll send you a copy.

If you do take the train you sure get to see the 'landscape' at PingXiang Station as customs / immigration procedures can take a couple of hours followed by a slow 4 hour run to Ha Noi on narrow gauge rails.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 02:12

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The best routing to increase your choice of trains AND reduce costs (fares outside a countries border i.e. the VietNam part are calculated is Swiss Francs which means a double currency conversion)is to go BeiJing to NanNing, GuangXi and then catch a bus across the border.

Details have been posted twice earlier but if you drop me an e-mail at and I'll send you a copy.

If you do take the train you sure get to see the 'landscape' at PingXiang Station as customs / immigration procedures can take a couple of hours followed by a slow 4 hour run to Ha Noi on narrow gauge rails.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 02:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi - Beijing Train ... By jonny_lewis07 on 3 Jun 2011 2 2593 6 Jun 2011