Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Is there anywhere that will exchange Dong outside of Vietnam?

• celianz

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 9

Yes, missed the boat (and apparently the exchange booth at Hanoi Airport) and we are now stuck with lots of Dong...stupid I know. Is there any country that will exchange it? I know Thailand won't...We are heading into Laos soon and I wondered if perhaps the banks there do? Otherwise my only hope is finding some other travellers who are heading in that way from Laos and who will change. If there is somewhere out there that you know of we would appreciate it!!!!

#1 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 14:30

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Dong is not officially available for exchange outside VietNam, at least for a couple of more years. At that time they will go onto the international exchange market.

You might, however, have luck in Laos. Try travel agents who arrange Vietnamese trips or maybe even a bank.

#2 Posted: 26/2/2008 - 10:07

• celianz

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 9

Good news for anyone as silly as me - we have managed to change Dong in Laos, at one of the banks in Luang Prabang. The rate was roughly half; so 1000 Dong got you about 530 kip.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2008 - 12:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.