Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc Island or Hue and Hoi An

• Sandrac

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2008

Plan A: Chau Doc to Rach Gia stay 1 night then to Phu Quoc Island for 3 nights then to Can Tho for 2 nights then to HCMC for 2 nights then fly to Hanoi

Plan B: Chau Doc to Can Tho stay 3 nights then HCMC stay 2 nights then fly to Danang stay 3 nights Hue/Hoi An then fly to Hanoi

Please help us decide, we're really struggling with which option to take, this will be the last leg of our trip and 8 days is all we can spare.

Any suggestions anyone has will be much appreciated

#1 Posted: 28/2/2008 - 18:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My first question would be when? Phu Quoc isn't so hot in the wet season, in which case Plan B may be the better option, but if you're outside of the wet, I think Phu Quoc is difficult to beat.

Second question is, where else are you going -- if you're already covering a lot of islands in Thailand, then perhaps Hoi An would be the better option...

#2 Posted: 29/2/2008 - 10:21

• Sandrac

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2008

Hi Somtam
    How are you?

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Were starting in north Vietnam then into Laos through Tay Trang, around northern Laos down around south then through Cambodia and into southern Vietnam. We'll be in the Delta area towards the end of March, so sounds like Phu Quoc is the way to go.

Ive read that boats to Phu Quoc leave Rach Gia early in the morning, do you know if any leave in the afternoon? If they do would it be a better option to stay the night in Chau Doc rather than Rach Gia?

Thanks again
    Sandra

#3 Posted: 29/2/2008 - 11:29

• karynelder

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2007

Hi!

My husband and I spent two months in Vietnam this winter and went to Phu Quoc over Christmas. To be honest, Phu Quoc has really lovely beaches, but (unless you have quite a big budget) the resorts are pretty pricey and you don't get a lot for your money. We flew from HCMC, as most hotels won't confirm your room reservation unless you have booked a flight...not sure if it would matter this time of year, but it did over the holidays. I personally wouldn't go back to Phu Quoc. We did stay in Can Tho and Chau Doc and quite enjoyed them - Can Tho is a great city to hang out for a few days in. There is quite a lot to do around there (floating markets, etc.) - more so than Chau Doc.

I think if it were me doing the trip, I would go to Can Tho, and HCMC, and Hoi An and then Hanoi. You can easily spend a couple of days in each area with plenty to see and do, and they are all quite a different feel. If you wanted to add Hue for maybe a night on the way up from Hoi An, that would be aan okay idea as well if you've got the time - the Imperial City is quite interesting for an afternoon or so. Make sure you give yourself a couple days in the old quarter of Hanoi as its really interesting.

Sheesh - I guess I'm being pretty lenghty on this, but I would do: two nights Can Tho, two nights HCMC, two nights Hoi An, and two nights Hanoi if I were doing it.

Hope that helps a little bit!

#4 Posted: 29/2/2008 - 17:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good information there from karynelder - thanks!

Sandra,

First off, sounds like a great trip!

There's a regular morning boat to Phu Quoc and a less regular afternoon boat (around 1pm if I remember correctly). If weather is off the boats don't run.

If I had to choose between Can Tho and Rach Gia, I'd opt for Can Tho mainly because the floating markets there are great and there's just more to do. Not that there's anything wrong with Rach Gia of course.

You can't leave Can Tho in the morning and get to Rach Gia in time for the morning boat -- I tried it, leaving Can Tho at about 5am and arrived too late for the boat (the boat was cancelled so it didn't matter anyway)

#5 Posted: 29/2/2008 - 19:24

• Sandrac

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2008

Hi guys thanks for your helpful info.

If we can find a cheap place to stay in Phu Quoc we'll probably go, the idea of relaxing on an island after a pretty rushed trip sounds so inviting.

Guess we'll head straight to Rach Gia from Phnom Phenh and stay there the night then go to Can Tho on the way through to HCMC.

Were off tomorrow, better get packing
    Cheers

#6 Posted: 1/3/2008 - 01:54

• alicjusia

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2008

hi Sandrac, tell us did you enjoy your stay at phu quoc? which resort did you choose? what rates? weather?:)

#7 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 17:36

• alicjusia

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2008

hi Sandrac, tell us did you enjoy your stay at phu quoc? which resort did you choose? what rates? weather?:)

#8 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 17:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 4043 5 Dec 2008