Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Weather

• sista

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2008

Me again, we are moving to teach in HCM City - we are wondering how much we should pack and what sort of things we should pack.
    Can anyone tell me if it gets cold there and how cold should we just buy stuff there or pack and take essentials from Australia.
    Any advice on what to take along with a guideline to weather in Nam would be appreciated
    SISTA

#1 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 09:49

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Cool, in HCMC, is about 20C.

I suggest you minimise your clothing from home as you get most everything made here. Cheap.

Bring a sufficient supply of contact lens fluids, if you need them, and prescription medications (until you get hooked up with a local doctor). (A couple of months)

For dental I recommend Maple Healthcare on Vo Thi Sau.

Bring your international driving licences, your eduction / teachers certificates and other documents.

Tampons are extremely expensive here as well as being hard to locate (only in foreign owned supermarkets).

The weather is easy. About 25C in November rising to around 35C in May when the afternoon rains begin - which end in November!

About accommodation. I suggest you use a hotel for a week or two until you figure out where is best to live vis-a-vis your job locations.

For long term you might consider a guest house which might cost around USD$10 / day. All accommodation usage has to be approved by the police. I know of a few long stay places which give you a discount on a monthly basis. The government has decreed that a 'suitable' monthly rent is USD$650 / month but guest houses allow you to work around this decree!

Food is cheap, as long as you are prepared to eat what the locals eat - Western food costs! I guess you will need boxes of Vegimite (or whatever it is called).

#2 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 21:26

• sista

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2008

Hello, I am looking for some tips for excellent tailor in Hoi An - Is it reasonable for me to be looking up designer gear on the internet printing it out and expect them to be able to whip it up??? Any advice on someone good to go to , rough estimate of cost and times would be greatly appreciated!

#3 Posted: 13/3/2008 - 15:14

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Another forum member suggested < www.hoi-an-tailors.org/ > for opinions.

For sure YALY and LE LOI 22 are very good.

The WORST is the notorious IMPRESSIONS - or anything with Impressions in the store name - as they are simply terrible.

Remember, quality products take a little longer to make - you can't expect top quality workmanship overnight!

#4 Posted: 13/3/2008 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.