Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Kon Tum - Family Hotel

• ajinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I spent the past 2 days in Kontum, staying at the Family Hotel - which was recommended by this website. Although many travellers might agree with your rating, I don't: I didnt' sleep the first night at all, due to an alarmingly loud A/C and an equally loud dripping in the toilet that wouldn't subside - plus a plumbing problem in the sink which caused a fair amount of flooding in the bathroom. I asked for a new room the next morning and had to return a few hours later especially to move my gear. When I tried to turn on the A/C in the 2nd room, it didn't work. I asked the owner to fix it, and after some eye-rolling, she sent up her husband. He finally returned (about 15 minutes later) with a new remote and, after fidgeting for awhile, managed to kickstart it. Then, I noticed this bathroom also had a plumbing problem, so the husband went to retrieve his tools, returned and went to work on the bathroom for the next 1/2 hour. When I cleaned up later that night (last night, in fact), the plumbing problem had mysteriously returned... again flooding part of the bathroom. I was too exhausted and livid at that point to head back downstairs.

Suffice it to say that, aside from the aggravation of things broken, having to move (ok, not such a big problem!) and having to stick around while the bathroom was fixed.. was no pleasure for me.

#1 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 17:19

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

You should bear in mind that Kon Tum is in the Central Highlands where the tourist infrastructure is still developing.

Plumbing problems can be annoying but I find wearing flip-flops in a bathroom not only reduces the chance of getting athletes foot and slipping, it also reduces the chance of getting your feet wet unnecessarily.

Many of the older hotel properties have uninsulated water tanks and pipes and often water 'leaks' are simply condensation as a result of high humidity - exacerbated by the fact that often the air-con is off when a room is unoccupied.

If I was you I would have packed my gear so that the hotel staff could move it for you and therefore not upset your plans.

You shouldn't expect perfect rooms when you are paying less for a room than you would likely for a decent dinner in your home country.

#2 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 20:42

• ajinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

I agree that flip flops reduce slippage and I wear them for that reason.

But the comment about expecting perfection (perfect rooms) is a bit off the mark. I doubt people - myself included - expect anything akin to perfection when staying in guesthouses around Asia.

#3 Posted: 14/3/2008 - 20:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.