Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi : Absolute Must-Sees?

• ajinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

This will sound crazy, but I only have 2 days to see what I can in Hanoi before hightailing back to BKK for an onward flight. I've heard that I ought to visit the HCM mausoleum. Other than that, I'd appreciate a short (!) list of other 'must-sees' if I'm so limited in time. By the way, I'm not big on visiting temples and other standard stops on tourist-bus itineraries. In fact, if there's an interesting OTBT neighbourhood to walk through, or a destination that's rarely referred to in the guidebooks, that'd be more my style!

#1 Posted: 21/3/2008 - 18:32

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

With such a short time you are best seeking out a decent city bus tour so you can get a taste of the city.

Visiting the Mausoleum, even though it is dedicated to a person of great stature, is time consuming given the amount of time you actually get to visit with Uncle Ho.

There is a dress code and a no cameras/no back packs policy (strictly enforced).

Maybe a visit to Uncle Ho's stilt house and One-Pillar Pagoda (the French blew up the original when they were forced to abandon the city).

As you might expect there are plenty of touts hanging around the area who inquire of where you are from and then they produce a book with comments from fellow countrymen on how good the guy is as a guide. The answer to their question is MONGOLIA - seemingly no Mongolian has ever used a guide. ;)

There is the military citadel, en route to the Uncle Ho memorial area from downtown.

Also the Temple of Literature but as I said - use a tour.

As for your departure, grab the VietNam Airlines shuttle which leaves from their office at the south end of Hoan Kiem Lake (another must see - in the morning).

Watch out if you eat on the street, there is a bad bout of cholera being served up by some vendors.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2008 - 22:02

• ajinasia

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Thanks! I'll try to find a tour... or I'll walk around - depending on the weather - to see as much of the city as I can. I took a quic peek at the lake earlier this evening, but given that it's Saturday night, the area was jam-packed!!

#3 Posted: 22/3/2008 - 21:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.