Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCM to Ha Long Bay

• JamieB

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

Hey Guys!

Whats the easiest and quickest way to get from HCM to HLB? I am on a time crunch and don't really mind paying a little extra for a plane if possible...

Also, how many days would be sufficient to see each place? I thinking 2 days in the city and 1-2 in HLB.

Much Thanks,

Jamie

#1 Posted: 23/3/2008 - 14:44

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're in a hurry then flying is the best bet. I'd say two days in Saigon is cutting it pretty fine, but for Ha Long Bay two days is popular length of trip.

Remember you'll need to factor in time for an overnight stay in Hanoi before heading to the bay.

See the Ha Long Bay page for links to some stories that cover some of the different touring options.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2008 - 15:27

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually the only internal flights to Hai Phong (a few kilometres from HLB) are from HCMC which means you can skip Ha Noi.

HOWEVER, you MUST arrange your HLB tour before departing for HLB as there are FEW booking arrangements to be had there.

I suggest that you select your tour (see first response) although for decent reputable charters I recommend < Tropical-Sails.com > for smaller (15 cabin) boats or Emeraude < www.emeraude-cruises.com/ > who run larger (~50 cabin) boats.

Both these outfits sleep you on-board whilst the cheaper offerings usually sleep you in some hotel on Cat Ba Island.

Other risks in cheaper cruises are that even if you are kept on board overnight you can be at risk or rats / two-legged thieves from other boats (if they tie up together), generators turned off early (23.00H), boat switching (the original boat is used on another cruise party and is running late).

It is ESSENTIAL you advise the tour op you will be joining the cruise in HLB and will require their transport back to Ha Noi.

Remember, dealing with travel agents not only increases the cost of cruise prices but also that many agents are unbonded or plain outright dishonest - even if they have foreigners working in the office - which is why you are better off dealing with the cruise operator directly. Booking through a hotel is not much better (they front for a commission paying 'travel agent') and will definitely increase your costs.

Cheaper cruises depend upon using agents as it is the only way they can fill their boats.

Happy sailing.

#3 Posted: 24/3/2008 - 08:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.