Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train from Saigon to Hue'

• MissBeth

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've got a few friends coming to Vietnam and they've expressed interest in doing a train trip from Saigon to Hue'. I've only used the buses to travel around, and wondering if anyone has advice as far as train service and comfort with respect to the different classes.

These folks aren't exactly backpacker types looking to totally rough it, but do want to experience things beyond flying around.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 13:44

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

have a look at this webb site it has loads of infomation on train travel in vietnam
    http://www.seat61.com/

#2 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 19:28

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

It is some time since Seat 61 was in VietNam. Things have moved on.

First of all, trains travel, in both directions, on a single 1 metre narrow gauge tracks which limits their speeds to under 79 kilometres per hour and this means that HCMC to Ha Noi takes at least 32 hours.

I presume these friends don't want to do the journey in a single hop so they should plan carefully.

A bus is recommended for either HCMC to Da Lat or Mui Ne. Obviously a subsequent bus ride from either of these two places is necessary to reach Nha Trang.

I recommend MAI LINH as they have new buses and their drivers have actually received bus driving training - most Open Tour drivers simply moved from a motorcycle to a bus and assume they handle the same way.

As a bus rider you might appreciate that Nha Trang / Hoi An and Hue / Ha Noi are two segments that are killers. For these an OVERNIGHT soft-sleeper is recommended.

BUT train travel requires forward booking - 2-3 days - so your friends will have to decide how long they want to spend in Nha Trang and book their seats before leaving either Da Lat or Mui Ne.

They should check prices with at least 2 or 3 'travel agents' before putting their money down (agents charges vary).

An overnight train will land your intrepid Travellers in Da Nang the following day, where they might want to visit the Cham Museum, before taking a bus OR taxi to Hoi An.

There is no need to book the Hoi An / Hue bus more than a day ahead - again Mai Linh or Sinh are recommended - and a swarm of buses depart around 08.00 and 12.00H daily to race to Hue.

Hue can be 'done' in a day so it will necessary to book your Hue / Ha Noi rail ticket as soon as they have checked in to a hotel.

They can take the half-day tour by CITY TOUR (the best of the bunch) either on the day of arrival or the day of departure.

The Hue station is on the southern extremity of the city near the La Residence hotel, about 15 minutes in a Mai Linh white 9-seat vehicle. Trains DEPART DEAD ON TIME.

Next morning, Ha Noi!

I recommend in Da Lat;
    /-------------------------------
    Dreams Hotel
    151 & 164 B Phan Dinh Phung
    Da Lat, Lam Dong
    Tel: 063-833-748
    E-m: dreams@hcm.vnn.vn
    -------------------------------/

I recommend in Nha Trang;
    BA TU (Room 203 is popular)
    34-G1 Nguyen Thien Thuat
    Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa
    Tel: 058-522-466
    Mobile: 0905-369-867

I recommend in Hue;
    Nguyen Tri Phuong Hotel
    56 Nguyen Tri Phuong
    Hue-Centre, TTH
    Tel: 054-829-282
    Fax: 054-849-482
    E-m: NguyenTriPhuongHotel@yahoo.com
    GPS: 16N27.97 / 107E35.64
    Rooms: 16; Largest: 4; USD$4 (dorm); 8-16 other rooms.

(I have no interest in these properties but have inspected over 4,382 hotels in VietNam and to my mind these offer decent accommodation for a fair price.)

HCMC and Ha Noi you most likely know are urban jungles where anything goes. But the Park Hyatt is my favourite HCMC hotel, as well as the Ky Hoa Hotel (for gardens, peace and quiet).

#3 Posted: 3/4/2008 - 05:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.