Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bun Cha Hanoi

• notacrime

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I was in Hanoi last September for a week, and spent the rest of the month traveling round Vietnam.

I'm desperately searching for a Bun Cha Hanoi recipe, like they do on the street all over Hanoi. The key thing that I cannot get a recipe for is the broth that the pork and pork meatballs is served in, (and that you dip your noodles in to.)

I live in Scotland now, and I really need my Bun Cha Hanoi fix.

Can someone please please please ask one of the street vendors what is in the broth, and get some sense of the proportions? I will be forever in your debt.

#1 Posted: 27/4/2008 - 02:04

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Our man in Hanoi isn't in Hanoi at the moment, rather he's off in Ha Giang ... I'll ask him to check it out when he's back in town... In the mean time. you may want to check out StickyRice just to remind yourself of all that great food you're missing out on ;-)

#2 Posted: 28/4/2008 - 07:32

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

My wife is a great cook and she said "it's just pork bones and stuff".

The pork part is easy. The "stuff" are several Vietnamese herbs that are almost impossible to obtain outside the region even in larger Viet Kieu areas such as Toronto, Vancouver, New York or California.

Have you checked out: < http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/vietnamese.html >?

#3 Posted: 29/4/2008 - 10:08

• notacrime

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

CatBa

- Oh man, I miss Vietnam. Just pork bones and 'stuff', that's great :-)

I did find that recipe site, thanks for sending it along though. Their Bun Cha recipe is an example of a non-Hanoi Bun Cha recipe, in that it calls for Nuoc Cham as the 'dipping sauce' which is clearly not what they serve on the street in Hanoi. It is, however, what I have been served as Bun Cha in California, and in Saigon.

I suspect there is Bun Cha, and then there's Bun Cha Hanoi (street style?)

I'm not scared of starting with pork bones. We have a few good Asian markets here in Edinburgh, so if you can find out what goes in the broth I'll do my best!

Here's a picture of me enjoying some last September.

http://flickr.com/photos/notacrime/1006636284/in/set-72157601207762402/

SomTam2000 - if you can get your man to ask that would be amazing, Rat Ngon!

#4 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 21:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.