Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay

• Spacey

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2008

I know there's lots of messages about Halong Bay but I'm after some up todate info. I arrive in Hanoi next week and want to take a Halong Bay trip, I was looking at Santa Maria but they seem a bit pricey for a two night trip, any recommendations who to book through or the junks to try for?

#1 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 11:47

• Advertisement

• katieq2

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

I haven't really heard a good story of people who stayed on the junks. I stayed on Cat Ba Island overnight when I went, but ut wasn't a great experience either. A day-trip seems to be the best idea.

#2 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 02:38

• seahmj

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

I was wondering How many days needed for visiting Ha Long Bay... i heard of the great scenic surroundings... but as i am in a budget. Trying to get a good yet cheap visit. For a real experience in viewing the surroundings, is it necessary for a 2 day 1 night trip (1 night on boat or Cat Ba Island)? Will a day trip sufficient to capture and feel the surrounding?

#3 Posted: 29/5/2008 - 19:43

• paradissatr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are budget travellers, you can always book your trip through an "open" travel agent in the old quarter. They offer poor services but real low price. Best for Halong trip in my own opinion would be 2day/1night.

#4 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 16:34

• Taaa

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2008

Hi,

I just about go there too but i'll there in first week of july. And i want to do a 2 days 1 night, i'd been read about it so many people said Ocean Tour. Do you have any suggestion, Paradissatravel?

#5 Posted: 16/6/2008 - 12:39

• seahmj

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

Hey Taaa,

I be travelling to there on the first week of july too... i be arriving Hanoi on the 6th july... Intend to travel to Halong on the 8th July...

So what date you be arriving?

#6 Posted: 17/6/2008 - 22:32

• Taaa

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2008

Hi seahmj,

My boyfriend and I, We'll arrive on 7th July in the afternoon but we haven't decided where we want to go first. And we have a limite time aswell.

Thank you for your reply.

#7 Posted: 18/6/2008 - 10:05

• seahmj

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

hmm... thats cool... 1 day after me.... perhaps you mind wanna meet me up in Hanoi on the 7th. I will be planning to walk around hanoi and meet up with some locals there... perhaps you can join this community at www.couchsurfing.com

There you will meet many local CSers that will provide you with many many informations....

However, that does not mean that Travelfish isn't good... it is just another means of getting more informations... i believe 1 more piece of good tips is never enough right?

#8 Posted: 18/6/2008 - 22:04

• Taaa

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2008

Right we can meet up i don't mind but we still haven't decided where to stay so maybe i can let you know later. And for halong bay trip it might be nice if stay for 2 nights 3 days that what we can think of now. We don't want to rush ourselves.

#9 Posted: 19/6/2008 - 14:21

• Taaa

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2008

Hi Seahmi,

I'd booked the hotel called TungTrang Hotel so if you want to meet meet up. We'll arrive on July, 7th about 2 pm.

#10 Posted: 22/6/2008 - 12:17

• Advertisement

• seahmj

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

hmm Tung Trang Hotel... Will consider moving over to stay with you guys so atleast can go traveling together... Will arrange again on the 6th July. I will email you on the 6th evening. Please provide me with your email. Thanks!!

#11 Posted: 22/6/2008 - 17:19

• andrea73

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there!

We just left Ha Noi for Hoi An.

In Ha Noi ưe stayed in the second floor balcony room at the Tung Trang Hotel (based on Travelfish reviews) for 8 days, and it ưas a great deal ($20 USD). Big, spotless room, tv (though few english channels), fridge, good bathroom, and the staff ưere great - not pushy at all, just quiet and friendly. Being in an alley, it ưas mostly quiet, and you see quite a bit of Ha Noi life happening as you walk to and from the hotel.

For Ha Long Bay, we went with Ocean Tours. A tad bit more expensive, but BRILLIANT organization. I have a separate post about them, but just wanted to throw them some more biz if possible, they wêre fantastic.

Have a wonderful time in crazy Ha Noi!!

*A

#12 Posted: 25/6/2008 - 18:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.