Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

3 weeks in the nam.what do u guys think

• hotdiggeydo-
    g2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008

Hi all

My lovely wife and I are going to the nam for 23 days and doing a bit of research on thorn tree and travelfish have tried to come up with a plan..here it goes

HCMC 2 days
    Mekong Delta - Hire a motorbike and cruise around for 3 days
    Travel HCMC to Dalat 1 Day (Bus)
    Dalat 1 day
    Travel Dalat to Nha Thrang 1 day (Bus)
    Nha Thrang 2 Days to Dive.I really need to dive!!!!
    Travel Nha Thrang to Danang then to Hoi An (Fly)
    Hoi An 2 days
    Travel Hoi An to Hue 1 day (car)
    Hue 1 day
    Travel Hue to Hanoi 1 day (Fly)
    Hanoi 1 Day
    Sapa 3 Days
    Halong Bay 2 Days
    Travel Hanoi to HCMC 1 Day

ffffeeewwwwww..I'm puffed already

I am ready for some constructive critisim and really would appreciate any advice. Have I bitten off more than I can chew......etc

Thanks in advance for any input and for spending your valuable time helping me.

Cheers and all that jazz

Jay

#1 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 10:33

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually 3 weeks is just the right amount of time to get a very good sense of VN. Visiting the Mekong adds to ths, something many visitors miss.

First of all, remember that the time / distance ratio is way different in VietNam with everything taking longer, much longer to achieve than it might in your home country. Your timings are a little off.

HCMC 2 days - [about right if you are not travelling from North America (jet lag)]

Mekong Delta - Hire a motorbike and cruise around for 3 days [please note you will have minimal insurance or even none - if your steed is over 75cc which is the maximum you can legally drive without a VN licence. Effectively it means you have no coverage for moving offences. Bring your own substantial lock and buy chain link over here from Dan Sinh Market in HCMC. Motorcycle owners are known to 'steal' their own bikes from unsuspecting tourists and then expect you to buy a new one! Have the rental agent point to any damage you find on the motorbike and take a picture of him and the bike to avoid getting false claims. Get COPIES of ownership, insurance, etc.]

Travel HCMC to Dalat 1 Day (Bus) - [Use Mai Linh {HCMC: 929-2929 - Hai Ba Trung and Lamson Square near Caravelle/Park Hyatt area} or Sinh (De Tham Street). Actually it will take you 6 hours. Remember to book onward bus travel 24 hours ahead.

Travel Dalat to Nha Trang 1 day (Bus) - actually three hours is all it takes ON THE NEW HIGHWAY, Via Thap Cham it takes 6 hours.
    Nha Thrang 2 Days to Dive.I really need to dive!!!! Jeremy What nots dive school has complaints about overcrowded boats, busy, minimal attention. Check out the several dive outfits in NT.

Travel Nha Trang to Da Nang then to Hoi An (Fly)
    Hoi An 2 days

/---------------------------------------------
    Cheaper accommodation located on Hai Ba Trung Street, Hue
    ---------------------------------------------/

Travel Hoi An to Hue 1 day (car) - Use Mai Linh Express, they only take 4 hours,
    Hue 1 day - You will NEED 1.5 days

Travel Hue to Hanoi 1 day (Fly) - given the airport access times, etc you might as well take a sleeper train and save money on travel and air. Overnight train takes 12 hours and will get you into Ha Noi by next morning.

Immediately book your HL cruise and when you know your return date IMMEDIATELY book your Sa Pa train for the evening of your return to Ha Noi from HLB. This arrangement saves time as you have to book rail tickets 2 days AHEAD of Sa Pa travel. Visit Ha Noi in between side excursions.

Recommended cruises: Smaller boat {15 cabins} < www.Tropical-Sails.com>; Larger boat {Over 40 cabins} < www.emeraude-cruises.com >

Hotel in Ha Noi? Good luck. NOT Ha Noi Blue Sky OR Lucky Eden OR several others! You should make sure you can leave excess baggage there whilst you visit HLB

Sapa 3 Days - MAKE SURE you arrive at the BACK STATION in Ha Noi AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE DEPARTURE.

Prices rise on Fridays and Saturdays - AVOID QUEEN HOTEL as there are multiple reports of theft from baggage. Also Mountain View Hotel has shabby record.

You will have to buy return portion of ticket in Sa Pa, most likely.

Return time in Ha Noi early around 05.00H.

There are VietNam Airlines and Pacific Airlines flights to HCMC - about 90 minutes.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 21:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

you're touching base in a lot of places -- allowing just one day in Hanoi seems a bit harsh -- I'd suggest skipping Da Lat and adding the saved time to Hanoi.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 21:27

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

A stop in Da Lat is a good place to take a break - better to take a day off the Mekong.

HCMC >> Mui Ne >> Nha Trang is about 13 hours by bus whereas via Da Lat, the time drops to around 9 hours/

#4 Posted: 4/5/2008 - 03:08

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Recently I did 24 days (south to north also). If you fly open-jaw you can avoid flying back to Saigon. I flew Asiana from the US and it didn't cost extra (into Saigon and out of Hanoi). Hanoi is a real gem, and you need at least 2 more days there. I did not do Dalat or Nha Trang or Halong. Sapa and Hoi An are the other 2 gems in VN. I was not terribly impressed with Hue (it's very nice looking and all - I found it a tad boring). I think you'll love the north much more than the south, as I did.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2008 - 23:46

• HoChiMihBob

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2008

Hey,

If you go to the Can Tho (Meking) a great place to stay is a Homestay called Minh Viet.

It is a little out of the city, but is great place to stay, it is peaceful, clean and is situated right on a river.

When I went to the Can Tho, this hotel made the whole trip so much better, I really recomment it.

Details:
    245/1 P. Thuong Thanh
    Q. Cai Rang
    Tp. Can Tho
    telephone: 0986 767726

Also if you have time Mui Ne near Phan Thiet is worth a visit.
    The website
    www.saigonscene.com
    has a nice write up on it under the heading Day Trips.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 13:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.