Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

What are the current prices of things in Vietnam?

• kongxh

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2008

Can any folks staying in vietnam provide some updates as to the current prices of daily items? I'm travelling there in June, and i understand that inflation coupled with certain unfortunate circumstances have caused prices of almost everything to skyrocket over the past few months. I would be grateful if you could correct my errors.

Budget accomodation in a major city: US$10

Street food in a major city: US$1.50

Restaurant food in a major city: US$5

A 2007 dated guidebook lists the maximum price of a train ticket from Hue-Danang as 60000D. However, the Vietnam railways quotes 65000D on their website.

Can i take this as a guideline and estimate 10% increase over 2007 prices? Or should i be aiming higher?

#1 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 11:02

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Inflation in 2008 April ALONE came in at 21%!

Accommodation is a strange beast to observe. Prices used to be calculated and displayed in US dollars and then converted to VN Dong. With the collapse of the Bush dollar the currency of choice for many hotels is becoming the VND. Room prices have increased, even in VND, but they have been in lock-step with the devaluation of the dollar!

In 2008 January the VN government ORDERED a 13% pay increase for non-government employees. Government employees got zip. This has increased pressure on them to seek 'bonuses' from their commercial interests, particularly the police.

Expect to pay about USD$11-12 for a room that was at USD$10.

Street and in-restaurant food has increased and menu prices should be relied upon - expect small increases. For example, I frequent a street restaurant where a vegetable dish was VND15,000 and it has increased to VND17,000.

Rice prices DOUBLED at retail over a recent weekend! VN has limited rice exports to 4,000,000 tonnes this year. Price, per tonne, was recently at USD$1,000.

Processed gas / petrol is imported - even though VN is near self-sufficient in raw oil - and retail sales are price controlled by the government. They have been permitted to increase to a point where even Xe Om (motorcycle taxi) are charging slightly more.

Aircraft fuel has kept pace with international increases and has affected all air carriers who have been granted substantial price increases on internal flights.

Rail is also affected as they use diesel electric power units.

Bus prices have increased slightly, again due to fuel price increases.

Expect 15-20% increases in your costs.

#2 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 11:39

• kongxh

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2008

thanks for the info catba.

20% increase in trip cost! I shall now have to do some strategic stockpiling of my own!

#3 Posted: 9/5/2008 - 19:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap - current prices for good guide and driver ... By basejump on 20 Mar 2009 5 4983 24 Apr 2009