Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc or mainland beaches in June?

• andrea73

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2008

Hi There --

We leave on May 19th for a six-week trip to Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. Our (rough) itinerary will have us in Bangkok for a few days, Chiang Mai for a week, LP for a week, Hanoi for a week, few days in Ha Long Bay and Hue/Hoi Ann for a week. We fly out of Saigon on July 2.

My question has to do with beaches, generally, and Phu Quoc specifically. Because we are missing the Thailand beaches (on our first trip to Thailand, too!), we'd like to experience a bit of Vietnam's sun and surf before we return to the US - but which beach??

1) Should we save some time and take a flight from HCMC to Phu Quoc for a few days before we fly home, or can/will we get enough out of the beaches near/around Hoi An?

2) As an alternative to Phu Quoc, I'm also considering beaches near Nha Trang - specifically Doc Let Beach, for peace and quiet - and taking the Vietnam Air flight from Danang to Nha Trang to save some time; from Nha Trang area, we'd head down to HCMC for a day or two prior to our flight home.

What are your thoughts?? I'd love to hear suggestions from those who know best :-)

(As an aside, THANK YOU for this site!! I've planned nearly my entire trip based on information gleaned fro Travelfish!)

#1 Posted: 10/5/2008 - 03:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think it's a case of apples and oranges. The beaches near Hoi An simply don't compare to Phu Quoc.

Likewise, Doc Let/Jungle Beach area is nice -- certainly better than the beach area by Hoi An, but I don't think they're in the same league as Phu Quoc.

That said, May starts to get a little wet in the far south, so you may not have brilliant sunshine day in day out.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 08:25

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

When in HOI AN, where the beach area is known as CUA DAI BEACH exercise EXTREME CAUTION NEAR THE CENTRE OF THE BEACH.

There are WHIRLPOOLS that, unfortunately, regularly causing DROWNING and EXTREME RISKS but only at CERTAIN TIDE STATES.

ALL THE HOTELS try to minimise the danger, for commercial reasons, particularly the Golden Sands, BUT I HAVE WITNESSED DROWNINGS.

Even the Vietnamese have posted a sign board, in English, to warn visitors.

The safer end of the beach is towards the Palms Resort starting from the last few restaurants to the Da Nang side of the road intersection.

ALSO beware of the PARKING SCAM near the post office where a guy in khaki clothing with a short stick tries to get you to park in a friends parking lot.

Just yell VICTORIA at him and carry on cycling!

#3 Posted: 11/5/2008 - 10:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.