Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

cholera situation

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone has up to date information on the cholera outbreak in hanoi in recent times?
    Also scams in nha trang at night? Will be travelling soon and need reassurance.

#1 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 05:16

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Ha Noi public health authority has initiated checks of all food vendors including those in restaurants. HCMC has had a similar program for a couple of years.

This outbreak highlights the lack of cleanliness in VietNam. There was a reseach report last year that indicated many food workers do not wash their hands after using toilet facilities.

It seems to be a national habit for Vietnamese to do personal grooming whilst having nothing to do! This includes detailed nose-picking, ear cleaning or hair nit elimination.

I refuse food from preparers who I see breaching what I consider reasonable cleanliness standards.

Reports of cholera have died off a little recently but reports have been cited of small cholera outbreaks as far south as Dong Nai.

Nha Trang has become much like the worst parts of HCMC or Ha Noi, in the tourist areas, in the past 10 years. Don't accept rides from two females on a motorcycle, a few seconds of excitement won't make up for your missing valuables.

The beachs can be dangerous after dark as knife attacks / robberies occur. Youths are now carrying knives in response to unwelcome sexual assaults.

Late night security is important in the more isolated areas around known Foreigner hangouts and bars. Public transportation stops before bars close and this means use of Xe Oms (motorcycles) and the dependency on the driver to take you to your destination. Outright robberies involving several VN on one or two Foreigners is not unusual.

The answer is common sense. Stick to inner, well populated, well lit, venues and you should be safe.

I carry a small squirt bottle of chili pepper oil (buy it in grocery stores) - works wonders when used in the agressors eyes.

#2 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.