Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hiking in Vietnam

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Hello all, I'm landing in Hanoi on June 4 and heading south through the country for a couple of weeks. I'm looking for a few opportunities to get up into some hills and away from the tourist hordes, but hiking information seems elusive. I'm an experienced hiker and climber, and I'll have all the basic equipment I'll need for the terrain and climate.

I'm guessing northwest Vietnam and the Central Highlands are the best spots, but again, it's not too clear. I don't want trekking "tours" or guided trips (unless that's required by law here), just directions to the trailheads. Anyone have any experience hiking in Vietnam? Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

National parks are your best bet if you don't want to do organised trekking... Cuc Phuong NP south of Hanoi is a good starting point. I'll dig out some more info and post back tomorrow with more details on parks.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 17:23

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Sounds great, looking forward to learning more. Gracias!

#3 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 19:39

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

BTW, I'll be in the region for about two months, so I'll very likely be traveling beyond Vietnam into Laos and Cambodia. If there's park info for either of those, too, that'd be swell!

#4 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 19:51

• vietnamadve-
    nturer

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I found Active Travel Vietnam at http://www.denverpost.com/papertrailsarchive/ci_4905810 . Pls check out some adventure guide http://www.activetravelvietnam.com/adventure_travel_guides.html

#5 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 15:59

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Great info, thanks!

#6 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 16:47

• paradissatr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

Well, that's easy. Just go to the North Of Vietnam, moutains are everywhere, it's time for you to wander. Anyway, not everywhere can you access as a normal tourist. So? Get a guide. Enjoy, buddy.

#7 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 16:42

• paradissatr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

Finally, I don't suggest you wandering around the moutains alone. The idea scares me. It's not securities, it's just too much of an unsafety.

#8 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 16:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.