Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Trying to revisit bamboo hut experience

• gfong

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

In 1984 my wife and I found ourselves living in a simple bamboo beach hut with a toilet and shower and bed. there were 16 huts in all with a little restaurant affair and the whole complex sat on a calm tree lined white sand beach. Electricity was available for four hours after the sun went down. Before we knew it two months had past. We have never forgotten. That was on Chawang beach in Ko Samui 1984.

Anyone out there can point me to a similar situation in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand? I have two kids to disconnect from the digital world for two months.

#1 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• Banfffour

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2008

If you find it...please let me know! My husband and I have booked 6 weeks off, have the kids in tow (100/11yrs old) and am hoping to relive our experience from 20 years ago!
    As well as prove to the kids that you can have a good time somewhere basic that doesn't have room service, and maybe at the same time they might see that not all kids get Wii's, and Ipods for christmas! I am also finding it hard to find basic huts that sleep four people.

#2 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 01:46

• gfong

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Where did you go 20 years ago? We spent a few months in thailand and a few months in Indonesia. Back then there was nothing on Ko Samui back in 97 we were flying to Hong Kong when we were horrified to see the neon jungle that it had turned into on som promo they were running on the video. Needless to say we decided to skip Ko Samui.
    I think that I have found something in the south of vietnam near the Cambodian border the island is called Phu Quoc. Check it out and let me know if you find something else.

#3 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 03:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're planning time in southern Cambodia, there's a place just outside Kampot that could fit the bill. It's riverfront rather than beachfront, but if you're looking to disconnect, it's a good starting point.
    Les Manguiers

As already suggested, Phu Quoc Island is another fine spot.

#4 Posted: 29/5/2008 - 05:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.