Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

WHERE ARE YOU CATBA

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi people,
    Just a quick note that catba seems to have not posted lately. I have got so much up to date info from this guy and somtam that I am really looking forward to my trip. Hope you are well mate and looking forward to hearing from you again.

#1 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 16:12

• Advertisement

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Ya, CATBA , Where are you ? Sometime ago, you posted a message that you were not soliciting and I don't believe you were. Recent links/postings by others , IMHO has more solicitations .

#2 Posted: 11/7/2008 - 23:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Catba hasn't been banned. I don't know where he/she is, but they've not been banned.

If you've got issues with other posts which you believe to be solicitations, spam etc, please contact us (at helpdesk@travelfish.org) and we'll look into them.

Thanks

#3 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 06:33

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually, as Stuart said, I wasn't banned - and I don't solicit even though I have financial interests in two mini-hotels I have never mentioned their names in any forum. Thanks for your opinion KPTham1.

What actually happened was that I was creamed by a Vinasun Taxi, famous for their hit and run tactics, at one of a few traffic lights that remain active overnight in HCMC.

I had a green (the taxi had a red) and this idiot comes straight through the intersection, whacks my expensive folding bicycle, runs over my shoulder bag with my ruggedised Panasonic computer in it and swerves into a traffic light!

The result was I was medivaced to Bangkok and Canada, my Panasonic was sent to Japan for repair, the driver was arrested and the vehicle impounded until all bills have been paid including my new Dahon bicycle.

I have to sign off before the vehicle is released but have developed 'writers cramp' that prevents me from doing so.

The good thing was that this intersection has two traffic TV cameras and the police were actually awake (at 05.30H) and watching their screens. I also use a helmet cam when driving/riding on the road and it was possible to clearly see that I had a green light.

Bottom line: Avoid Vinasun; exercise extreme caution when crossing/using roads.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 13:27

• gogogirl

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2008

Hi CatBa, thank goodness you're back and OK. You are a legend, I didn't realise how many people depend on your advice. I also have posted some questions for you today - I think it was on the "Overnight Train fron Hanoi to Hue" link. Please answer when you can.

#5 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 13:49

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi catba,
    Welcome back. My trip was fantastic and I loved vietnam. Everything you advised me turned out to be spot on . Wow,sounds as though you had a bad time with the taxi, happy it has all turned out o.k.
    Thanks again for assisting me to have a great time in vietnam.

#6 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 05:37

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks, MacMan, for your words of appreciation.

This is a wonderful country with unique features and people and it is good to hear that yet another person has been helped by this web site to enjoy thei visit.

#7 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 07:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a follow-up on my previous comment, CatBa and CatBa2 have now been banned.

They have been asked repeatedly by email not to post bulk hotel recommendations and contact details for travel agents, but have persisted and so have been banned.

While I realise they've made many very useful contributions to the site, their seeming inability to follow posting guidelines has led to the ban.

#8 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 07:20

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi somtam,
    I must have missed something here.Can you refer me to anywhere that these persons have solicited? I for one think that this forum has been riding on the back of the advice of these people and cannot express strongly enough my disappointment with your decision. PLEASE RECONSIDER!

#9 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 14:58

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Catba/Catba2, my apologies if my posing#2 above may have started a popular movement which solicited the standard classical response.
    Who knows, Catba/Catba2, you may have enough momentum/critical mass to have your own independent blogg!
    Dear Somtam , I am completely taken by surprise at the complete turnaround from post #3 on 12/7 and post #8 on 16/7 in a matters of 4 days. But then you have the final say ( as Admin ).
    IMHO,Travelfish without Catba/Catba2 is not travelfish !

#10 Posted: 17/7/2008 - 00:24

• Advertisement

• hunter

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2008

Pls reconsider banning Catba2, his information has
    been so useful in planning my trip.

#11 Posted: 19/7/2008 - 02:06

• seattle

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

Good to finally hear from you Jon. I am happy that you will recover from the auto accident! A month ago I was in Saigon on the back of a motorbike taxi "cowboy" and had a near miss collision. That is the one way a tourist can get hurt or killed in Vietnam. Thats why anybody going to Vietnam should buy travel accident insurance before they go so there are funds to be evacuated out to the neighbor hood countries that have the better hospital treatment centers. Yes, I to am disapointed that you have been kicked off this forum. You have so much local knowledge that you share. I do not always argree with all your findings or statements but was nice to have your opinion always. This is why I turned away from Trip Advisor so I could read your postings. They are so informative! This is a loss to all the travelfish posters. Its sad there are so many rules and no openess to hearing about hotel suggestions ect. I have known you for years from your TA postings and I believe in all my heart that you have never touted for your own pockets. You have made it very clear that you hate touts on the 3 forums you have been on :) Later Friend Maybe you can start your own forum with a few less rules?

#12 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 11:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry but the ban is going to stay, I will though explain a little why they were banned as I'm aware that Catba/Catba2 contributed much useful information to this forum and was of great assistance to many readers.

Their posts would often come inclusive of a selection of hotel recommendations, referrals to travel agents and/or requests for readers to contact them directly. Generally speaking we're not adverse to Travelfish readers recommending hotels and so on -- after all we can't possibly list everywhere, places change etc -- but bulk recommendations, as CatBa's were, were not welcome. They were warned both in the forum and by personal email from me, that we didn't want posts like this to continue, and yet still they came.

As seattle mentions the poster(s) were active on a number of forums under a variety of tagnames, including Travellerspoint, TripAdvisor, VirtualTourist, Thorntree, RoughGuides and Bootsnall -- some of which have also banned the user -- or deleted many of their posts. These are just the forums I'm aware of -- though I'm sure if I spent more time digging into this I'd find more.

As most readers will be aware, I try to keep the forum as clear of advertising as possible -- we ban spammers on a daily basis (around 90% of which involve Hanoi hoteliers!), but it's often a fine line between a recommendation from a legitimate traveller and an advertorial from someone who may have a vested interest. I'm not suggesting that CatBa/2 had a vested interest in the businesses they recommended on the site, but when they repeatedly ignored requests to stop posting certain material, it's got to set off a few warning bells -- enough bells went off and they were banned.

I'm going to lock this thread, but if anyone has more questions about this matter, please feel free to contact me via email on the Contact Us page.

#13 Posted: 22/7/2008 - 12:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.