Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Na Trang or Mui Ne

• benh

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008

Which would you chose if you could only visit one? We are on holiday in Jan 09 & cannot decide which would be better for a 3 day visit.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2008 - 20:15

• Advertisement

• journey

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

We have just visited Na Trang and found it lovely! We admittedly haven't been to Mui Ne - we were put off by the fact that it is apparently smelly little fishing town. If you do go to Na Trang swim on the beach in the monring BEFORE the crowds come down in the mid afternoon. It is lovely swimming in clean water and the views are scenic.

#2 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 18:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a mixed bag.

Nha Trang gets very busy, there can be a lot of hassle and it's generally a bit of a tourist town. On the upside, there's quite a bit to do, the beach is pretty and there's scopr for daytrips etc.

Mui Ne gets smaller crowds, there is a big fishing village at one end of the bay as journey mentions, but I reckon that's a bit of an asset to be honest, as it's interesting and photogenic. There's also the sand dunes which make for a fun couple of hours...

Three days is a long time to spend in Mui Ne unless you're happy just laying around. If you want a more "action packed" three days, then Nha Trang is the better bet.

#3 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 19:03

• ski

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008

I would go for Mui Ne, we spent 5 days there and 4 days in Nha Trang. Really liked both but preferred Mui Ne as it was little more laid back and the beach was much nicer. Just make sure you stay at the southern end of the beach (this is far away from teh fishing village), and bring some books as there isn't much to do. Also good to make sure that wherever you stay has a decent amount of beach frontage. Some hotels claim a private beach, but you find that they have no sand to lie on! This is from hotels north of the Jibes windsurfing place, so south of this is best.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2008 - 20:08

• kongxh

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2008

I guess that would depend on what are your objectives of visiting Nha Trang/Mui Ne, and what you want to do there.

I went to nha trang and i thought i wouldn't be for me since i'm not really into beaches and partying. But the boat trip to the islands was fun and the wacky old man we got as a guide/singer/bartender made the day trip totally memorable for me! All for the bargain price of $6!

On the days i was there, the beach drew a significantly vietnamese crowd and it was a family beach with lots of kids and grandparents, perhaps cos its the holiday period.

Haven't been to Mui Ne so i can't comment about it.

#5 Posted: 17/6/2008 - 21:55

• bellowe

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008

I have been to both. Mui Ne is smaller resort area. It is usually quite breezy and has course sand beaches. Not much to do unless windsurfing is your thing..... NhaTrang is now a hopping place. White coral sand, lots of water sports, nightlife, and resorts. Boats can be chartered to cruise islands for a cheap price.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2008 - 02:30

• Travelindoc-
    hine

Click here to learn more about Travelindochine
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Location Vietnam

Hi,

I think Muine and NhaTrang are nice place. However, I recommend you do Muine. Its far 200km, take you 3.5 hours from Saigon. Stay there 5 days and back Saigon for tour arround like Mekong Delta, Cuchi Tunnel and shopping.
    Good luck
    Travelindochine

#7 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 22:09

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

TravelIndochine is a so called Travel Agent! He has just shown why VN travel agents are so useless.

Shows how much he knows - it is 6-7 hours by bus from HCMC to Mui Ne via Phan Thiet. Use Mai Linh Express as they are safe and have several daily buses - not some second-hand clunker from Korea that arrives at some un-Godly hour in the morning.

If you go to Nha Trang (air, rail or bus) you can always escape and visit Da Lat - 2.5 hours by Mai Linh.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 17:58

• riqu

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

It has to be Mui Ne. Nha Trang was just too busy and we were forever being pestered by folk trying to sell us knock-off books, watches, trinkets etc. There is a good range of hotels and guest houses in Mui Ne to suit any budget. Go for it!

#9 Posted: 17/7/2008 - 19:25

• pam80

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

I wonder who is the agent for what? There is no way you can get from Nha Trang to Da Lat by bus in 2.5 hrs. By the way the beach at Nha Trang is mediocre - but then as an Australian I know what a real beach looks like!

#10 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• shango266

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

Depends what you want- Nha Trang is wonderfully scenic with a great vibe, the hotels ate affordable and the beach is stunning.
    Mui Ne is much smaller with little to do, except sit around the pool/beach, but there is a lot of wind if that's your thing. If you absolutely have to choose, I'd say go to Nha Trang.

#11 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 13:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.