Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bus or Train from Hoi An to Hanoi ?

• journey

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

We need to get from Hoi An to Hanoi but can't find any difinitive advice on whether train or overnight sleeper bus is best, or even if both are available; What would you recommend - comfort wise and safety and convenience...the cost isn't so much of an issue.

#1 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Overnight train -- both are available, but my vote is for the train.

If cost isn't an issue, you can always fly from Da Nang to Hanoi ...

#2 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 19:00

• journey

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

Thanks! Flying isn't an option, but great to hear your vote is overnight train. We'd have to come back to Da Nang right?

#3 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 19:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, closest convenient train station is Da Nang

#4 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 06:07

• thegingerbi-
    rd

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

From someone who took the bus last night go with the train. If you take the bus anyway try and not get the back seats as you may end up with your neighbour sleeping on you!!!!!!!! The seats are also not made for anyone over about 5'4" so it will be uncomfortable if you are tall.

#5 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 13:14

• maeschi

Click here to learn more about maeschi
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008
    Location Switzerland

take the train...def.

#6 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 18:18

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 2

Overnight train to Da Nang then taxi rides to Hoi An hard sleeper bottom or middle bunk is better as the top bunk tends to get no air flow , but does have xtra storage spots for your luggage , also storage under the bottom beads , train costs about 800,000 vnd for a sleeper , as a air ticket can cost you about the same , so if you are only here for a few days or weeks fly as it will save you time. also there have been no added attractions in some 50 years , and most historic places will have mold and mildew everywhere so bring masks , they have not learned to use a pressure cleaner yet.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 21:23

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

train price from danang to hanoi is the same price for air tix?? cant believe it??

can i know how long is the train ride??

#8 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 00:40

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

never, never, never use long distance buses in this country!!!!!!!

#9 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 13:54

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

Overnight train ride to DaNang runs about 800k for hard sleeper but if you are near the old quarter it is cheaper than going by air as it costs taxi fare to Airport where as train station is only 1 km from old Quarter.

#10 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 00:15

• Advertisement

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

Yes overnight bus's are not regulated and can be over crowded and often the drivers play chicken with traffic , so your life is worth about what the National average is , which is about 287.00 usd is what your life is worth if the bus crashed and you Die , this is what the bus company has to pay you for your life, if they are found at fault . But if you travel with allot of luggage then you are stuck as traveling by bus with allot of luggage is the cheapest way possible.

#11 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 00:20

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Took a night bus from Nah Trang to Hoi an a few days ago. 11 hours and no toilet. It was proper ****. The train on the other hand was OK. It costs a bit more but worth it. also just geta ticket from the train station and not from your hotel. Its the same as buying in the uk apart from the fact people wish push in front of you. Take a motor taxi too - its fine with 2 bags of luggage. Takes about 30 - 40mins. I took a little less but my driver hauled it. More fun on bikes anyway. In Hanoi now and I'm not that wowed. Siagon kicks the ass of the place. Its also cold and cloudy (although I knew this before I came). Seriously thinking of flying to Lao and coming back in a few months when it warms up, but remember its only my opinion. Ultimatly its up to you. One mans junk is another mans treasure etc

#12 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 04:41

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I took the overnight bus...never again. Absolute Hell. No toilet paper, tiny space to sleep, driven like it was stolen and the aircon was ridiculously cold...to name but a few of the issues. I'll eat the price for the plane tickets in Vietnam every time from now on.

#13 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 04:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.