Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Warning re taxis in hanoi

• thegingerbi-
    rd

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just to let you know that if a taxi is using a meter in hanoi you will be ripped off. After getting off the night bus from Hue there was a load of taxis to take us to the hotels. Oddly no motos

I initially thought great he has a meter i don't have to worry about getting overcharged, and then i saw the meter creeping up to 100,000d. I started telling him to stop and let me out but he kept going and had child locks in the back. I kept saying i only have 100,000 at this time the meter said 160,000. He was having none of it and didn't want to let me out but i just kept saying thats all i have and in the end he let me out. A ride that i now know should have cost 20,000d cost me 100,000 but it could have been worse someone else was charged 240,000d.

Make sure you agree the price before you go anywhere in Hanoi even though they have a meter.

TGB

#1 Posted: 14/6/2008 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• paradissatr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

So many taxi companies running in this city and rip-off is hard to get rid of. Better to use the brand like Hanoi taxi or Phu Dong taxi. These are more reliable, since if you have the feeling of being overcharged, you just simply write down the taxi's number place and ask your hotel to call their company and report. The driver will surely miss his job.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2008 - 14:20

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi people,
    Just back and had to get my bit in for MAI LINH taxis. I insisted on them throughout vietnam and never had a problem. The only time I could not get one was from bus station in hanoi to our hotel. Had to use one of the local cowboys and at the end of our 7 km trip the meter read 446k dong and a 124 km trip.
    He pointed to the dong and I pointed to the kms. He eventually accepted 50k without any ugly scenes.

#3 Posted: 26/6/2008 - 15:25

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Overcharged?

Then REFUSE TO PAY. They will not (1) To call the police; (2) Wit for the police to arrive. Just toss them what seems fair - VND15,000 per 2 kilometres.

Mai Linh, VN and DeLuxe taxis are all honest.

Some Ha noi airport taxis LEGALLY have NO METERS - they are (supposed) to charge a flat USD10 but it is better to take the VietNm Airlines Shuttle - USD2.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 17:03

• pam80

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

Yes taxis in Hanoi can be a rip-off, metered or not, its better to agree on a fare beforehand. This does not apply to all metered taxis, only some of them. Mai Linh and some of the other companies are fine and their meters are not 'adjusted' to fleece tourists. Vietnam Airlines taxis to and from the airport will cost around $12 (230,000 VNDong) whether you use the meter or not (they give you the option) and the Vietnam Airlines shuttle bus will take you to your hotel for a little extra ($1).

#5 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 09:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.