Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Alternative sea transport to Phu Quoc Island

Posted by steveontweed on 16/6/2008 at 08:30

I am reading some confusing accounts of getting to PQ island from the nearby coast. With 2 50 year old adults and 2 15 year old teenagers we are OK to try for something other than the fast ferries with everyone else (we would prefer anything else) but although good swimmers I don't want to take on anything dodgy/risky. Some accounts suggest fishing boats from Ba Hon (any other departure ports out there?) are OK, some suggest risky, others say downright foolhardy and most are dated a year or more ago. Any current news appreciated for Aussie family on a long awaited adventure of a lifetime...cheers Stevo

#1 steveontweed has been a member since 16/6/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/6/2008 at 17:10 admin

Aside from the regular ferries, the only other boats I've heard of doing this route are fishing boats from Ha Tien, but I wouldn't recommend anyone use those due to safety concerns.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 18:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

There have been deaths / drownings now numbering in the 40-50 range of cheapskates who took fishing boats.

The island is located at the conjunction of the waters of the Bay of Thailand and the East China Sea and in such areas the waters can be rough!

Take the authorised and safety checked ferry. Or fly.

A word of warning. Weather can affect all links to the island so I suggest that you visit there BEFORE doing time in HCMC so you can spend your pre-flight to home in close proximity to the TSN airport.

You wouldn't want to be sitting weatherbound on PQ whilst your flight departs without you.

#3 CatBa2 has been a member since 6/11/2007. Posts: 53

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.