Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Anybody been to Xuan Loc?

• NoratheExpl-
    orer

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008

I'm writing a story set there without the benefit of traveling there myself. I have a lot of stories from my Vietnam-vet father to help me, but would appreciate any info about the size, look and feel of the place. How far to Saigon, what's the road like?

Many thanks!
    Connie

#1 Posted: 19/6/2008 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Xuan Loc was a major battle in the closing days of the American War in VietNam - even referred to as a 'last stand'.

The town of Xuan Loc had an American airfield - which area didn't - and is about 20 kilometres from the capital of Dong Nai Province which is immediately north of HCMC / SaiGon.

Like almost everywhere else in VietNam, little physically remains of the war, except for mine fields and Agent Orange toxic zones, and what the tropical climate hasn't destroyed the phrenetic re-developement has.

Dong Nai Province is a hot area for industrial developement so todays views bare minimal relationship to the conditions existing 36 years ago.

Search XUAN LOC in Google and check out the image options for aged views of the town.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 18:38

• NoratheExpl-
    orer

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008

Thanks--that helps!

#3 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 10:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.